Can this be done? (4pin 12v PSU on 8pin 12v Motherboard)

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
A while back (New Build Probs), I posted boot problems with my PC and from what was mentioned it was the PSU. I posted a screenshot of HWMonitor and I was told that my 12- and 5- were off a bit.

Since then to now, been busy with school and stuff so I didn't get a chance to buy/borrow a new PSU to test it and see if that was mainly the cause.

I got 2 old PSUs at home, lying around. Both of them has a 4pin 12v connector but my motherboard needs an 8pin connector. Is it possible just to unplug all the items connected to my motherboard, try the old PSU and see if it boots?

Seems like a stupid question which if tested would be destined for damaged parts but that's why I'm asking first :).

Yeah, I told you that, Jo. :p

If I remember right, with the 775 motherboards, the lower C2Ds did not need the extra 4 pins. That 8-pin was needed for the Quads I believe.

There's no harm in trying unless it harms your system. 9/10 it just won't power on, or power fully.

You shouldn't need 8 pin. Christ, the 77 boards from gigabyte are only 4 pins, you have enough power. You only need about 500W, so if you have one that size giver.

And unless Some ones paying for your damage, don't do it... The pins are not right to begin with. i'd be idiotic to knowingly plug a power lead in to the wrong spot.

However, i reread your posts, have you tried minimual boot out of the case, with just cpu, gpu ram?

I put 0 trust in hwmonitor to read the voltage.. Did you back up the claims in the BIOS?

The dangers of only 1 person respsonding to you is they can be wrong, and you'd not know it.

You shouldn't need 8 pin. Christ, the 77 boards from gigabyte are only 4 pins, you have enough power. You only need about 500W, so if you have one that size giver.
Well I got a 700W which I'm pretty sure is enough power...but this prob occurs, so that's where the post comes in lol.

And unless Some ones paying for your damage, don't do it... The pins are not right to begin with. i'd be idiotic to knowingly plug a power lead in to the wrong spot.
Well I'm the one who gotta pay for all damages and such. Prevention better than cure, as the saying goes, which is why I come to you guys :).

However, i reread your posts, have you tried minimual boot out of the case, with just cpu, gpu ram?
Yup, yield same results.

I put 0 trust in hwmonitor to read the voltage.. Did you back up the claims in the BIOS?
I think I checked the BIOS before, but can't remember exactly what it reads so I'll give it another look and update/reply to this thread.

The dangers of only 1 person respsonding to you is they can be wrong, and you'd not know it.
That's the reason I'm waiting on other replies :p.

And yet, you are no different, if that was an insult to me..
Chill, I'm pretty sure he means that in general.

*All replies are in red, seems easier to reply that way instead of breaking up the post.

And yet, you are no different, if that was an insult to me..
Believe what you want, but this is the 3rd thread same topic, same responders... That equals bad news.
EVERYTIME I'm the only poster responding, I specifically tell the OP there needs to a second person, No matter who is the OP or the one giving advice. I am not comfortable someone blindly following my advise, with out a second person to verify that the knowledge is sound.

Bolluck, I can't quote your replies.

I meant one of your old ones was 500W psu. However since you have 2 old ones, you can try using the 2 psu's together, if they make over 500W. You'll have to google how, It mainly involves jumping the 24pin. You could run 1 psu for the 24 pin, and the other to run the gpu and 4 pin.

It does sound like a flakey psu, but I'm not sure the -5V and -12V show that, a i said, I don't trust hwmonitor.

Joe, the manual doesn't say that it has to be all 8, it just says it needs to be plugged in, but no mention of 4/8 pin.

My MSI board has an 8 pin, it came with a sticker that covered half of the connector that stated a single 4 pin could be used. My PSU (corsair 650w) provided an 8 pin rail so I used that. I suppose the OP can try a 4 pin and see what gives. you can get 4 to 8 pin connectors to purchase, If the OP is concerned he should get that. I think that was already mentioned in another thread with links to where he could purchase one

just recalled that my Mrs. has a 5770 card in her pc and the card does come with a connector for the 6 pin (2x4 pin molex to 6 pin connector)

Back
Top Bottom