Build Upgrade Advise

brightemo

Beta member
Planned Purchase Date: 6th September 2012
Budget: ~£400 GBP
System Usage: Gaming, Transcoding Video while streaming, 1080p playback, Internet
Parts Websites: ebuyer.co.uk scan.co.uk amazon.co.uk

What I currently have:

CPU: Intel Q6600 (4 cores at 2.4Ghz)
CPU-Cooler: Zalman CNPS 9700
MOBO: ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP (P35)
GPU: XFX HD 6950 2GB
RAM: 4GB (4 x 1GB) (Corsair DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2)
HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 (plus 2 Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 (1TB) for storage)
PSU: CoolerMaster 600W Silent Pro
Case: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced
Monitor: Philips 220WS8FS 22" TFT - 1680 x 1050

What I am thinking of upgrading to:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) (Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600)

Overclocking: Yes, CPU to about 4Ghz maybe? Something safe.

Why am I upgrading?: It has been a while. Also I seem to struggle with only 4GB RAM at the moment. And, of course, who doesn't like to get things done quicker?

So I guess my big question is what do you think about my choices? Will there be enough room for the Noctua NH-D14? I am a bit confused over all the advise to choosing between the 2500k (Sandy) vs the 3570k (Ivy). If I am not doing extreme (no idea what "extreme" would be) over-clocking is the 3750k better?

Clock for clock, ivy bridge is better that it's sandy bridge equivalent.
Ivy Produces less heat, but the smaller core tends to be hotter than sandy bridge. I say go with Ivy Bridge

IB can still reach around 4.6 on that mammoth of a heatsink you have. As long as the Vengeance RAM you chose don't have the high heatsinks (the stupid little spikes on top) then clearance wont be an issue.

I don't really see the point in 16GB of RAM, but since you already have a decent GPU, an SSD, a storage drive, and an "ok" PSU I don't see a reason to try and cut costs. I say go for it.

Keep the CPU over clock by 2GHz and graphic card if external better to be overclock but not less then compare to CPU

Back
Top Bottom