Desktop randomly shuts off.

xXClockwork

Solid State Member
I have been having trouble lately with my computer shutting off randomly (especially during high stress activity). I have tried reapplying thermal compound (Arctic Silver 5), multiple interior cleanings with compressed air, and updating the BIOS. Still no luck. I am using CPUID Hardware monitor for my readings. I'm not quite sure what the reading "TMPIN2" is, but it hangs around 80C. I am under the impression that 0 is mobo and 1 is CPU, but I may be wrong, so I'm not exactly sure what is hot. Has anyone else had this problem that could point me in the right direction? Thanks.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA770-S3 Socket AM2+
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition
RAM: Kingston DDR2 Dual Channel 4 x 2GB
PSU: XION Simple power 630W ATX
Cpu Cooler: ZEROtherm butterfly CPU cooler
Graphics card: GeForce 9800 GTX+ OC
HDD: Hitatchi 1TB internal
LITE-ON 20X PATA DVDRW
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm

20u7ec3.jpg

One of your cores hit 114ºC!?:omg:
That's tremendously high. Did you install the heatsink properly? Did you clean off all of the previous thermal paste before reapplying?
Did you apply a very thin layer of thermal paste? You only need to use a small amount of thermal paste, more is worse. I use about the size of a small pea, however, some use even less.

Edit: At temps like that, your computer is shutting down to protect the hardware from becoming damaged. It's possible that the processor may be damaged in some way, especially if it keeps running near those temps.
IIRS the Athlon isn't supposed to go above 71ºC

Edit2: Max operating temperature for your CPU is 68ºC your computer should have shut down before you were even able to take that screen shot.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon X2 5400+ - ADO5400IAA5DO (ADO5400DOBOX).html

Yes, did it the same as I did the first time. Wiped it off with alcohol, applied a thin layer and put the cooler on the way it had been. My build is about 4 years old. Started doing it very minimally last summer, but stopped it until the summer again. It picked up doing it pretty badly during July/August. It gets pretty hot here in TX during the summer, so I don't know if that has something to do with it. Not sure if i should just pick up another CPU/Heatsink? I didn't even catch those high core temps when I looked at the reading.

It's not a great cooler, b ut its decent.

What case do you have, and is the fan working?

As for thermal compound, the best way is usually just qa dry grain of rice in the center, letting the hsf compress it out, then giving it a minor turn to seat it.

Make sure theres not too much and properly clipped in.

As everyone else said make sure that you dont go overkill on the thermal paste there is such a thing is to much is bad. Also make sure that the cpu cooler fan is recieving power and actually spinning. Than make sure you monitor the temps to see if they come down some. If they do not I would just go ahead and buy a new cooler fan. Also make sure when your putting the case together nothing is getting stuck inside the cpu cooler and stopping it from flowing.

My temps are as follows just browsing the web:

TMPIN0- 31 31 32
TMPIN1- 36 34 42
TMPIN2- 81 81 81 (Still not sure what this one is reading)
AMD ATHLON Core #0- 33 32 53
Core #1 35 33 59
Hitachi HDD- 41 42 42

As soon as I load up a game, my computer pretty much shuts down right away.

Back
Top Bottom