New Motherboard and Ram

Axxion

Beta member
i built a new pc recently with a asrock z75 pro3 motherboard that i had to rma. i also sent back the ram and this time i think ill try to get a little help with selecting its replacement.
build:
intel 2500k w/ hyper 212+
msi hd 7970
raidmax 500w psu and visiontek 450w dedicated graphics card psu.
2x 80gb raid 0
500 gb hdd
mobo: TBD
ram: TBD

Ram: Trying to stay under around $50 (thinking about this set Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR )

mobo: trying to stay below $150 ( thinking about this one Newegg.com - MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS )

looking for best bang for the buck. any input and advice would be awesome

the asrock board worked fine for 2 days. on the 3rd day, everything in the bios reverted to auto. the ram that was running before at 1866, suddenly couldnt be set any higher then 1333. many settings completely disappeared from the bios, like xmp profile for example. it also would not hold an overclock. if the multiplier was raised higher then 37, it would revert back to 37. even when set at 3.7 ghz, the clock would only hit 3.4 when stressed with prime. as far as the psu, i do plan on upgrading that soon as well. the current psu's are left over from my old build. i've never had a power supply related issue.

Well your board problems could be directly related to that (no offense) piece of trash of a Raidmax PSU. Those things are extremely weak and the ripple is ridiculous. My Ultra X2 550w is better and I wouldn't trust my 2500k being overclocked even on it, just to give you an example. Lack of proper stable power can cause a board to go whack easily. That is why I brought up the PSUs. Also, if you are using the 450w PSU GPU PSU for the 7970 that isn't enough either.

well ill try to buy a new psu a little sooner. just for the record i ran those psu's on my last build 955BE at 4.0, 790gx-g65 and the same hd7970 with no issues, but i know what you're saying. so now that we covered the psu issue, do you think i would be better off with any other ram or board? the $10 promo ends tomorrow so i wanna get the stuff ordered.

If you can afford it the board upgrade could be used, but depending on what RAM you had before probably not needed. I would concentrate more on PSU replacement.

Back
Top Bottom