Problems with upgrading my GPU (and PSU eventually too)

lotny

Solid State Member
Hi. From the start I'd like to apologise for any mistakes I'll make, my english isn't perfect.

So yeah, my problem started from wanting to upgrade my graphics card. I knew it was gonna be a bit more troublesome, because my computer is so called "all in one", which is simply a big PC screen, with no any additional box aside. Here is the link to some info about my PC: ONETWO L A6524 UK | Product Model

Also CPU-Z link just in case: CPU-Z Validator 3.1

I've already tried so many forums + listened to my friend (that turned out to be not 100% right about everything...) so that I'm absolutely confused right now. I'll just share with you with whatever I know/suspect - my friend (that actually was here and looked into my PC) said that my GPU is built in into my main board (I believe that's the word he used) and the only way of upgrading it is simply adding another one. And apparently there's a slot for another GPU that's supposed to be PCI express x16. However, today I read my PC's service manual, which you can download from here: Packard Bell L5351 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics (you must download all 4 parts of it - 0 to 3 - and then extract it. It's PDF file). In this PDF file in section "removing graphics card" there are pictures of how to remove the graphics card and it looks 100% like a normal GPU, not built in into anything. My friend also said that my GPU would have to be low profile, but I really don't know. So this is the major problem: is my GPU built in and do I have to buy a second GPU and add it, or do I just have to remove the old one and put the new one in the right place? Also is it low profile or normal?

Okay so that's the GPU part. Now, my friend also said (which appears to be right), that my PSU (power unit supply?) is too weak, and cannot supply anything better than my current GPU (which is GeForce 9200). My current PSU's wattage is 220W, which indeed is very low. So now I will probably want to upgrade my PSU as well. And here are few more problems. What type of PSU do I need to buy so it works fine with my PC? The size of my current PSU (I measured it myself) is 20cm high, 9cm wide and 5.2cm deep, so I suppose the new one cannot be bigger. Also of what power the new one has to be to supply my whole PC and the new GPU? I know that different graphic cards need different amounts of power so now I'll tell you what kind of GPU I want to buy. It's be something around GeForce GT440 or maybe Radeon HD 6450. I don't really need a very powerful monster, all I basically want is run Guild Wars 2 on medium/high details smoothly.

PLEASE help me, I already tried 4 different forums and no one yet was able to help me. I know the problem is quite complicated, but I want to get it solved. If you need more info, just let me know please.

http://global-download.packardbell....U5R)&OS=721&LC=en&BC=Packard Bell&SC=EMEA_27P

i recommend downloading the guide from the official site only at the above link.

that guide doesnt have a motherboard diagram.

as you already have the computer open, can you take a picture of the inside? can you tell what the video card is and take a picture of that? can you measure how big it is? if you arent sure, it will be the component that connects to the cable that goes to the screen.

assuming you meant 15 cm instead of 5 cm above, the power supply is a standard size.

Thanks for the answer!

I downloaded the file, but I don't really know what you want me to read? In section "upgrading your computer" they only mention about upgrading your RAM and hard drive.

As opening the computer (it's not opened at the moment) is REALLY troublesome, I'd just like to ask you to download this Service Manual for my computer from the link in the first post (Packard Bell L5351 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics). If you go to Table of Contents and click Removing The Graphics Card there are several pictures of the GPU. If that helps with the sizes of my GPU that's good, if not I'll then open my PC again and measure it exactly.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write 15cm instead of 5.2cm in case of my power supply unit. It surely is 20cm high, 9cm wide and 5.2cm deep (the third dimension from the front to the back). If you would like to see the PSU itself too, there is a picture of it in the Service Manual file too. Just go to the Table of Contents and then Removing the Power Supply Unit.

If you have any difficulties accessing this PDF file (Service Manual), just let me know, I'll copy all the images and paste them here.

the card is a low profile. you can replace it. as i can not find any kind of power supply to replace the one that you have, i do not know of a way to upgrade the psu and i cant find another one like it, which leads me to believe that it is proprietary for the model and series of all in one computers. the manual appears to show that you can upgrade to a gt 320 if that isnt what you already have. it would seem that for more powerful performance, you will have to upgrade the whole machine. if you can find other low profile cards that do not need more power than what you have in the power supply, you could upgrade to those, too. sorry.

Oh, that is terrible... I also thought of another possible (?) way of upgrading my PSU though: If I bought a decent one even if it didn't fit, would it be possible to just put all the cables in the right place into the right slots etc and just put the PSU outside the PC? On the floor for example?

I even looked up that GeForce gt320 (which is better than the one I have), but in specs it says it needs 300W system power anyway, so it's too much for me already :|

Oh and I thought of that too, trying to find a better GPU, which would need the same amount of power or maybe even slightly more. But how do I know how much power my current GPU requires?

THANKS for all the replies, I really appreciate it, out of 5 different forums, you were the only person, that actually helped me.

i think that's the problem that youre going to have. the all in one is not so conducive to upgrades. you 'could' get a new case and put the current computer into that and upgrade as needed. however, you have a weak computer that you are trying to patch up. it would be best to start over to get a real computer.

feel free to ask more questions and advice.

So basically, there's nothing I can do to upgrade it...? Well now I'm considering selling this PC then ^^'

Thanks again for all the help.

I didn't really get a straight answer for this one, and I'm still wondering if it's possible:

Can I buy a bigger Power Supply and simply place it outside my computer? Plug everything in so it works but put the PSU itself on the floor or on the table? That'd make upgrading the GPU possible. But is that doable?

Back
Top Bottom