Is it needed?

Hayden13

Baseband Member
I have just recently purchased a new computer from Cyberpowerpc and it's primarily for gaming. My friend (who helped me with the build and knows much about computers) told me not to immediately use the computer to its full potential as soon as I got it out of the box. He told me to "warm it up" "let it get used to being on". I believed him and I still do (to an extent). I then preceded to ask him questions like, can I play GTA IV on minimum settings? (which it can do with NO problem). He told me no and that the first WEEK that I have it I should only watch YouTube videos, talk to people on Skype, only do non-demanding tasks. This is when I became a little skeptical and did some research on the internet. I've searched everywhere and NO ONE is saying this. So I ask you fine folks here at Tech-Forums... Do I need to "break it in" or should I play GTA IV? On lowest settings of course for a couple of days and then slowly work my way up to its highest and full potential.

P.S. In case you were wondering my Graphics card is an NVIDIA GTX 560Ti 2gb, and my CPU is a 3.6 GHz AMD Eight-core 8mb cache... So it can pretty much Man-handle any game you throw at it, let alone GTA IV.

Um... no. You don't have to "break in" a computer for use... You can turn it on and immediately begin using it however you want... I don't know what your friend is thinking or heard that...but totally untrue.

Go ahead and load up whatever games / apps you want and start using them.

I do trust his judgment, because he does know much more about computers than me. He did however call this "common knowledge", so I thought I'd ask a group of computer "freaks". I still believe him and anything else he tells me, he's not an idiot if that's what you're thinking and I plan to have him help me a lot in the future. Thank you for your answer carnage, and I rep'd you. I don't think that I need to really come here much more for help, my friends can help me a lot. Although I may come back in the future to spread my soon-to-be acquired knowledge about computers and gaming. Thank you again.

No problem.

Lol if it was common knowledge, you'd still be able to find a mention of it somewhere ;).

Common knowledge things are generally all over the internet. Idk what your friend is smoking, but I wouldn't listen to him anymore before posting here.

Perhaps he was talking about old thermal pastes that requires a burn-in period before they get to their full effectiveness? Either way he's completely daft in that regard :p

I would like to point just one little thing out from the past that is probably still true to this day. If you plan on trying to do an overclock, and keep it stable, don't do it all at once. In theory if you let the CPU it self, not the paste, break in slowly at slightly higher than stock clocks, you could potentially have a slightly higher stable overclock. But that is impossible to prove honestly, as every core is different and behaves differently. But it sure did seem to help 10 or so years ago. This is possibly where he got the idea to "break in" a pc. Except that's not needed, it's not like a brand new engine that require a proper break in procedure.

So for the most part, your friend is full of ****, sorry.

Perhaps he was talking about old thermal pastes that requires a burn-in period before they get to their full effectiveness? Either way he's completely daft in that regard :p
AS5 still has that rumored break in period. Thing is, it is just for OCing if you want that extra 2C. Doesn't mean you can't play games at full quality lol.

AS5 still has that rumored break in period. Thing is, it is just for OCing if you want that extra 2C. Doesn't mean you can't play games at full quality lol.

Or you can just use MX or TX for better temps right away :D.

Back
Top Bottom