Complete computer lock-down and peripheral failure

FairPlay

In Runtime
Hello there, I was hoping that somebody here in the forum could help me with an issue that keeps occurring for me.

Basically what happens is the computer suddenly stops all functions. The display goes off, the speakers make a buzzing sound, the mouse is unresponsive, the keyboard doesn't work and the disc drive stops also. I cannot shut the computer down by pressing the power button and waiting, however I can shut it down by pressing and holding the power button to shut it down.

This only seems to occur when I am playing Total War: Shogun II currently and not as a result of me clicking anything etc. ( The game can be idle and this can still develop ). I can play any other game without this arising. Also, in the past I could play this game for as long as I wanted and nothing would happen like this, but now it happen indefinitely between 30 minutes and 60 minutes into gameplay.

Here are my computer specifications:

Windows 7 (64-bit)
Intel i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
ASUS 1155 P8P67 REV 3.0
8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
Nvidia Geforce 460GTX
Samsung 1TB Hard Drive
Onboard Audio
Powercool Modular 550W

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!
P.S. I went about taking some HWMonitor screenies before and during/just after closing the game of my system if it helps?

Please post those screens. After the first read through I first thought of the game being corrupt, so you might want to try reinstalling the game. Another issue I was thinking about was overheating which can cause freezing. How are you temperatures for the CPU and GPU like from HWMonitor?

Can't see the numbers. Use Windows 7's Snipping Tool. Select the area you want, save, and then upload here.

Left is before launching, right is after having been on the game for not long.

Many thanks,
FairPlay

Many thanks,
FairPlay

Many thanks,
FairPlay

Sorry for all the posts!

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    3.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1Capture3.PNG
    1Capture3.PNG
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 1Capture4.PNG
    1Capture4.PNG
    9 KB · Views: 24
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1Capture5.PNG
    1Capture5.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
  • 1Capture6.PNG
    1Capture6.PNG
    3.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Capture7.PNG
    Capture7.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 1Capture7.PNG
    1Capture7.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 23
Your Video card is overheating. The temp on it is 71C or 159F. The CPU is up to 46C or 114F which is high, but not to bad. It sounds as if the video card is breaking the temp threshold and causing the system freeze.

71 for a GPU isn't that terribly high. It could be contributing yes, but it's not that high.

Try cleaning out the dust from the GPU's fans, and download something like EVGA Precision and crank up the fan to see if you can cool it down a bit.

Right, thanks for your responses KSoD and carnageX, I'll try cleaning up my GPU and system of dust collection and see how that fairs up. If there's any changes, I'll post them. Thanks for recommending me EVGA Precision also!

Many thanks for your help!
FairPlay

Back
Top Bottom