SSD, and hard drive questions.

Spenlard

Solid State Member
Could I do two 256GB SSD'ds and no hard drive.

Or would 1 SSD, and a HDD work better?

I thought about it, would stuff not save onto the SSD, then make everything pretty much the same as if I had an HDD?
Like, I just need some help knowing exactly what the benefits of an SSD + HDD would be. Rather than just an HDD.
I know how/why SSD is better, but the hard drive is still there, so it wouldn't even matter would it? Because stuff is still gonna save to it ya' know?

What I read to know what I know; http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd

I thought about it, would stuff not save onto the SSD, then make everything pretty much the same as if I had an HDD?
Like, I just need some help knowing exactly what the benefits of an SSD + HDD would be. Rather than just an HDD.
I know how/why SSD is better, but the hard drive is still there, so it wouldn't even matter would it? Because stuff is still gonna save to it ya' know?

What I read to know what I know; SSD vs HDD | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
Of course you can do two SSD's. Put em' in RAID 0 and you'll have speeds a single SSD couldn't dream of catching.

Depends on how much storage you need. If you can deal with less, go with two SSD's. The speed is worth it, IMHO. Of course, you can still throw in a 2tb drive or so for storage, AND RAID the SSD's.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Everything will save where you tell it to save.

What I read to know what I know; SSD vs HDD | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
An SSD greatly improves the speed of many things, but others it isn't necessary. For instance, OS, browsers, large programs (Photoshop, Office, ect), BF3, Skyrim, all benefit from fast SSDs. Things like music, pictures, movies ect don't. You can also store other larger games on a HDD that are still speedy with a regular drive like most all Steam games.

Of course you can do two SSD's. Put em' in RAID 0 and you'll have speeds a single SSD couldn't dream of catching.

Depends on how much storage you need. If you can deal with less, go with two SSD's. The speed is worth it, IMHO. Of course, you can still throw in a 2tb drive or so for storage, AND RAID the SSD's.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Everything will save where you tell it to save.

Ahh okay, so like, save games and **** in the HDD stuff that takes up alot and just needs to load up once, then like everything else on the SSD? I was thinking like a 750GB-1TB HDD, then a 128 SSD? And wut's RAID?

An SSD greatly improves the speed of many things, but others it isn't necessary. For instance, OS, browsers, large programs (Photoshop, Office, ect), BF3, Skyrim, all benefit from fast SSDs. Things like music, pictures, movies ect don't. You can also store other larger games on a HDD that are still speedy with a regular drive like most all Steam games.
But if I store the games on the HDD what's the point of an SSD?
Read my post I quoted to the other guy just now lol, pretty much the same answer/question.

Well you haven't exactly elaborated much, but like for me I have my games 2TB drive (normally in my server) in my machine. I have all of my ISOs on there, my Skyrim install (so I don't ever have to remod it), and a Valve folder that is over 50GB. If I had Valve, Skyrim, BF3, and Supreme Commander on my SSD alone it would be full without Windows. The deal is mainly with SSD is to have your OS and anything you access regularly on it because it is so much quicker. I cannot explain the amount of speed you get from simply getting an SSD. I personally have Microsoft Office, Windows, Chrome, BF3, and Skyrim on my SSD right now. All of those take serious advantage of the speed. To make my point on Skyrim and BF3, lets say I'm playing with my friends on BF3. We are all chatting, I get in the game quickly and start complaining about being killed or something (hypothetically). I then have my HDD friend saying damn wish I could load that fast. Or Skyrim, if you have a heavily modded Skyrim it can take ages to load on even a fast 7200RPM drive. Takes less than 20 seconds to load Skyrim for me.
OS boot time from pushing the power button to desktop while inputting a password for me is 25.6 seconds. May not sound like a big deal, but it is.

I will say this, an SSD may be needed in the near future, recently obtained some fancy shows that are far beyond 1080P and my nice 7200RPM HDD couldn't keep up with loading data... I had to load the file to an SSD just to get rid of the stuttering and pauses... 4GB per minute of video is rather ridiculous, but it's true, soon an HDD will become useless except for MASSIVE data storage and nothing else, we are going to have to start looking at SSD's for most things. xD

I find that with a typical HDD as my main drive, it takes upwards of 3-5 minutes to fully boot and logon, an SSD cut that down to around 20-30 seconds easily. I can't even go to the bathroom when I wake up and turn the PC before it gets started anymore.

Anime... They are "test" shows to see how well machines can handle ultra high resolution 10bit content.
Are we talking 2K, 4K, 8K? And, random line of thought but I wonder what the difference in bitrate between standard content and 10bit content at the same resolution is?

Back
Top Bottom