Built new PC, can't pass POST and no video.

doctormwebb

Beta member
Hey! I'm new to the forums here (as you can tell by my post count... duh haha), but I've been reading from here for a while. Anyway I was wondering if I could have some help:

I was putting together a new computer for a friend last night, but when I turn it on I can't seem to pass POST, or get it to boot period. The system starts up, fans and drives whirl normally - but there's no video on screen, no beeps from the speaker, and what's weirder is the power LED is off. I've tried swapping out PSUs, using onboard graphics and an actual graphics card, and moving the ram around in the slots. Here's the part list:

Motherboard: Biostar P4M890-M7
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8400 (6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333MHz FSB)
RAM: Crucial Technology 2GB DDR2, PC2-6400, 800MHz
PSU: Bestec ATX-300-12Z, 300watt

I've only noticed a few things, and I wanted to know if any of these might be causing a problem:
1. The FSB speeds don't match up - the CPU FSB runs at 133MHz, and the motherboard 'supported' list only shows 533/800/1066MHz. Could that be causing an issue?
2. The RAM speed doesn't match the speed listed in the motherboard compatibility list - the RAM I have is clocked at 800MHz, and the motherboard is listed as only being compatible with 533MHz sticks. Could that be the problem? I tried a spare 512MB stick clocked at 533MHz but it didn't fix anything.
3. On the motherboard CPU compatibility list, it shows lots of Core 2 Duo processors, but none clocked at 3GHz like the one I have. Could that be the problem? Could the processor be too fast for the motherboard?

Thanks in advance! I'm really hoping I can get it to work.

Hey! I'm new to the forums here (as you can tell by my post count... duh haha), but I've been reading from here for a while. Anyway I was wondering if I could have some help:

I was putting together a new computer for a friend last night, but when I turn it on I can't seem to pass POST, or get it to boot period. The system starts up, fans and drives whirl normally - but there's no video on screen, no beeps from the speaker, and what's weirder is the power LED is off. I've tried swapping out PSUs, using onboard graphics and an actual graphics card, and moving the ram around in the slots. Here's the part list:

Motherboard: Biostar P4M890-M7
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8400 (6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333MHz FSB)
RAM: Crucial Technology 2GB DDR2, PC2-6400, 800MHz
PSU: Bestec ATX-300-12Z, 300watt

I've only noticed a few things, and I wanted to know if any of these might be causing a problem:
1. The FSB speeds don't match up - the CPU FSB runs at 133MHz, and the motherboard 'supported' list only shows 533/800/1066MHz. Could that be causing an issue?
2. The RAM speed doesn't match the speed listed in the motherboard compatibility list - the RAM I have is clocked at 800MHz, and the motherboard is listed as only being compatible with 533MHz sticks. Could that be the problem? I tried a spare 512MB stick clocked at 533MHz but it didn't fix anything.
3. On the motherboard CPU compatibility list, it shows lots of Core 2 Duo processors, but none clocked at 3GHz like the one I have. Could that be the problem? Could the processor be too fast for the motherboard?

Thanks in advance! I'm really hoping I can get it to work.

Try this first, look inside the case and make sure the motherboard is properly mounted on motherboard mount standoffs.
Next, check your intel lga 775 cpu cooler, make sure its in there snug and not moving around.
Make sure the heatsink wire is correctly in place.
Post back and let me know what you get after reading this post.

Checked all of that, no luck.

Try using a different lga775 based cpu, the celeron d series maybe a good start and are very cheap in auction sites right now.
If the cpu you have is not on the current manufacturers cpu support list do not bother to try it if they cannot get it to work and are refusing to make future support for it.

Take out one memory stick and see what happens, remove ram slot 1 and see if it'll come on and post.

I would say it could be the CPU compatibility.

Some boards couldn't support the Wolfdale CPU's without a BIOS update (e8400 was one of the Wolfdales).

On the BIOS page for that board (Biostar USA):

Code:
P4M9M510.BS	05/10/2007	

1.Support Intel Conroe_L cpu
2.Change BIOS setup flasher utility control function.

That's the most recent BIOS version for your board.

Looks like if you're on the most recent BIOS revision, you would only be able to use a Conroe series Core 2 Duo (the line of Core 2 Duos before the Wolfdales).

let us know what happens to your PC after you've changed the CPU.

However, Newegg.com - BIOSTAR P4M890-M7 PCI-E LGA 775 VIA P4M890 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard Says it does support Core 2 Duo/Celeron D/Pentium D but CPU speeds have not been specified. so my guess is it should support all Core 2 Duos.

This one is your CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400

it says it supports Socket LGA775's.

I'd change the PSU and get a 400W one. About the RAM, the manual says no matter how much the Frequency is of the RAM, it would run on 533 due to the limitation of the Mobo Chipset.

let us know what happens to your PC after you've changed the CPU.

However, Newegg.com - BIOSTAR P4M890-M7 PCI-E LGA 775 VIA P4M890 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard Says it does support Core 2 Duo/Celeron D/Pentium D but CPU speeds have not been specified. so my guess is it should support all Core 2 Duos.

This one is your CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400

it says it supports Socket LGA775's.

I'd change the PSU and get a 400W one. About the RAM, the manual says no matter how much the Frequency is of the RAM, it would run on 533 due to the limitation of the Mobo Chipset.

If you read my post(s), then you'll see that I commented on the Core 2 Duo CPU's in regards to compatibility. It looks like it's an older motherboard, probably released during Conroe C2D's. Wolfdales were new architecture line of C2D CPU's, and motherboards required a BIOS update to support the Wolfdale line of CPU's.

Back
Top Bottom