System Specs add in.

Hmmm... Interesting discussion. I see KSOD's concerns, and have my own in that could give spammers another inroad to TF. However I can also see it as something many in the community would like and enjoy. I am at work right now but I will look at a couple of ideas on this tonight.

Would you mind posting me a link,TJ?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/identifying-your-current-hardware-upgrades-259883/#post1993272

Does that help for now, at least in upgrades? Maybe people will give it a read and include their validation in the post so we know what they're working with?

Hmmm... Interesting discussion. I see KSOD's concerns, and have my own in that could give spammers another inroad to TF. However I can also see it as something many in the community would like and enjoy. I am at work right now but I will look at a couple of ideas on this tonight.

Would you mind posting me a link,TJ?

To OCN? Yes:

GTX 670 Unlocked Voltage Bios

Just a random thread I saw on OCN's homepage. Ignore the mess of a forum it is, but check out the OP's sig.

I didn't mean literally require it for registration. Just have it come up so they can fill it out. Even people who need help with virus's or new builds might need to list what they have in order for us to help them. I get tired of people complaining that we aren't helping fast enough when they wont feed us the information we need to help to begin with.
So you're saying, we can't have a reg page that pops up saying please enter your system specs so we can help you easier, while having a "Check this if you don't know" option to complete reg?

I don't know how forum structure works, so was just offering the idea. I come across so many threads that could be easily answered if we knew the specs, because even people building are sometimes just literally upgrading their old computer and can use old parts.

Edit: This is more what I was talking about besides sig.

specs.jpg

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/identifying-your-current-hardware-upgrades-259883/#post1993272

Does that help for now, at least in upgrades? Maybe people will give it a read and include their validation in the post so we know what they're working with?

To OCN? Yes:

GTX 670 Unlocked Voltage Bios

Just a random thread I saw on OCN's homepage. Ignore the mess of a forum it is, but check out the OP's sig.

That is an interesting plug in. If we could find it, that would be find.

I didn't mean literally require it for registration. Just have it come up so they can fill it out. Even people who need help with virus's or new builds might need to list what they have in order for us to help them. I get tired of people complaining that we aren't helping fast enough when they wont feed us the information we need to help to begin with.
So you're saying, we can't have a reg page that pops up saying please enter your system specs so we can help you easier, while having a "Check this if you don't know" option to complete reg?

I don't know how forum structure works, so was just offering the idea. I come across so many threads that could be easily answered if we knew the specs, because even people building are sometimes just literally upgrading their old computer and can use old parts.

Edit: This is more what I was talking about besides sig.

specs.jpg

PP, that is just user profile fields that are displayed under the username. The display aspect is a plugin, the rest is controlled by the forum. Believe me if it was so easy to just do it and not have it be complicated, I would have already.

Like I said I have to do some research. If I can find out how to add a drop down box selection option, and then how to add fields after that without making it overly complicated, I will do that. The selection option would be for Pre-Built or Self Built. If you select Pre-Built then you get 2 text fields. 1 for Make and the other for Model. If you select Self Built then I will have fields for various aspects. I need to know what is wanted though if this goes through as I plan.

I might even have a 3rd option for "Dont care not here for hardware" that way it wont even give them the option for the text fields and allow them to just get to the site faster. It will help reduce Spam, as no bots can fill in that info.

But you will have to give me some time to research and find out how much of a PITA it will be to do all of this with vB without using plugins.

Lol no problem. I didn't expect any results like over night or anything. Was just giving some suggestions so I can help people faster and better as I have nothing better to do than sit here and be on the forums and play games (besides raising my kid).

Well if things go the way I plan, then it will be cool to do and some fun for all of us. But if things cant be done easily, then we will have to find another way to accomplish the goal without putting to much strain on new registrations.

It isnt going to be for a few days that I even begin my research. Since I got a new toy today I have to set it up and get it operating the way I want. Since today is the day that a certain item is available for a group of people, I was able to get my hands on a copy. So now comes installing and testing to see what works and what doesnt. ;)

Ah who am I kidding. Windows 8 was released to MSDN and TechNet today. I got it and have it installed. I am installing software among other things to give it a test run.

1 thing I will say before people go off. If you use Bins from 1UP Industries as well as Tab Explorer, then Windows 8 will be great. No need for 8UI or the Start Menu.

Back
Top Bottom