Overclocking IvyBridge (3770k) with Noctua CH14

I know there is less solder but i would have thought due to there being more transistors in a smaller area there will be less space for heat to dissipate. regardless of how much solder would have been used.

I know there is less solder but i would have thought due to there being more transistors in a smaller area there will be less space for heat to dissipate. regardless of how much solder would have been used.
That's kinda true, except that by having smaller transistors the resistance drops, meaning there's less heat output.

That's kinda true, except that by having smaller transistors the resistance drops, meaning there's less heat output.

Yeah but the transistors in the ivybridge are a different type to the Sandy so it will be hard to compare what the heat/resistance actually is.

Yeah but the transistors in the ivybridge are a different type to the Sandy so it will be hard to compare what the heat/resistance actually is.
I don't think you get me. Yes, the tri-gate transistors in IB produce more heat, but the solder I'm talking about is non-existent. In previous chips Intel uses a flux solder between the physical CPU core and the IHS (IHS being the top part where your heatsink goes). In IB they used TIM, which is regular thermal paste we use between the IHS and our heatsinks. IB CPUs would be cooler had they used the flux solder instead, regardless of of the tri-gate technology. The leading factor in why they produce so much heat is because of the flux solder not being used. I think the chips would be fantastic clockers if this heat wasn't an issue.

Yea that's pretty much what we have been saying is that 4.4-4.6 is ok, but anything higher isn't depending on cooling. They mentioned in the first page that 4.9 was hitting the thermal envelope easily at only 1.35v. I can do 4.8 on my H50 single fan setup and will top out at 75c with higher volts. Just shows the difference between SB and IB though, and how much heat those tri-gates really produce. As I believe SB also uses TIM internally between the cores and IHS. They also didn't mention ambient temps which is a big no no when doing these kinds of reviews.

Back
Top Bottom