Computer shuts down

lltech

Solid State Member
Have a Dell Optiplex 755 with an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 Fuzzy CPU, 4GB RAM, an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 graphics card, running XP Pro SP3.

This unit recently started giving the BSOD out of nowhere. It happened twice in 2 weeks, and now has gone 2 weeks without making a problem, with no change in usage.

The unit is used for graphic design and Photoshop work 8 hours a day, but is almost never pushed to its limits.

According to HWmonitor, all 4 CPU cores are running around 38 degrees C, which seems fine to me.

The GPU is at 72 deg C at idle. Is that too high?

Anything besides temps that I should be thinking about as the cause of the problem?

The GPU is a bit hot. Did you try taking a can of air to it and cleaning the dust off? Is the fan on the GPU heatsink working OK?

I cleaned the dust out, now is running @ 69 deg, and ticking back up. The card only has a heat sink, no fan. The CPU fan blows across it, (is working) but overall the case doesn't seem to have good airflow.

Do you think excess heat is the problem here?

:hrmph: well might be the too much overheating of GPU causing the parts to malfunction and causing BSOD.

An overheating of the GPU itself can cause a BSOD, mate. They make those Dells very poorly in airflow. Can you possibly run it with the side panel open?

Thanks, guys. I was afraid the mobo was dying, but makes me feel better to know the temps could be causing this. Will do what I can to get them down. Shouldn't be hard to run with the case open, maybe with a small fan blowing across too.

What temp should I aim for?

Just did it again, with the cover off. Max temp now says 73. Putting a fan on it now too to see how it acts. Maybe should replace GPU? It's been fine for 3+ years, in exactly the same configuration, now this.

Back
Top Bottom