New laptop

Alright thanks, but why is the Sony more expensive if Acer is better?
Oh and I got more couple of questions :
1)I'll probably have to get a cooler, what's the best brand of cooler that'll achieve the maximum possible cooling results?
2)Are there any checks I should do on the laptop on my first day of buying it, to check if it's good or not? Like ram checks, CPU checks, GPU checks etc?
Thanks for all the help so far :D. I'd +rep you both but I gotta spread some first.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure why the Sony is more expensive.

I use this, not sure if it comes in other sizes:

Newegg.com - Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra Slim Laptop Notebook Cooling Pad, up to 17" (160mm Fan)

Call me paranoid, but whenever I buy a system, I always do a check to make sure I got the hardware I paid for. I use CPU-Z and GPU-Z.

To check that everything is working, besides for just using it, you could always stress test it.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure why the Sony is more expensive.

I use this, not sure if it comes in other sizes:

Newegg.com - Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra Slim Laptop Notebook Cooling Pad, up to 17" (160mm Fan)

Call me paranoid, but whenever I buy a system, I always do a check to make sure I got the hardware I paid for. I use CPU-Z and GPU-Z.

To check that everything is working, besides for just using it, you could always stress test it.
If I buy a cooling pad, a cooler master one is ok, even if in other sizes?
And about the paranoid thingy, lol I will do the same thing once I get my laptop :D.
Will both the internal HD graphics and the dedicated one appear in GPU-Z?
Isn't stress testing bad for the systems though? Like, it puts high pressure on the laptop which could damage it?
Thanks again, you guys have been of a lot of help to me :D.

If I buy a cooling pad, a cooler master one is ok, even if in other sizes?
And about the paranoid thingy, lol I will do the same thing once I get my laptop :D.
Will both the internal HD graphics and the dedicated one appear in GPU-Z?
Isn't stress testing bad for the systems though? Like, it puts high pressure on the laptop which could damage it?
Thanks again, you guys have been of a lot of help to me :D.

I've had good luck with CM cooling pads, so yeah, go for it :thumbsup:

It SHOULD recognize both internal/external. Even if it doesn't recognize the internal, it doesn't matter because you're obviously getting your graphics somewhere, eh? ;) Plus, the integrated is always there, even if it is disabled, because in the case of the Acer model the integrated GPU (Intel HD 3000) is on the CPU die. Don't worry too much about it.

Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend stress testing a laptop unless you have a higher end one meant for gaming or workstation duties that was designed to handle above normal temps.

No problem, that's what we're here for :)

I've had good luck with CM cooling pads, so yeah, go for it :thumbsup:

It SHOULD recognize both internal/external. Even if it doesn't recognize the internal, it doesn't matter because you're obviously getting your graphics somewhere, eh? ;) Plus, the integrated is always there, even if it is disabled, because in the case of the Acer model the integrated GPU (Intel HD 3000) is on the CPU die. Don't worry too much about it.

Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend stress testing a laptop unless you have a higher end one meant for gaming or workstation duties that was designed to handle above normal temps.

No problem, that's what we're here for :)
I was talking about the GPU thingy because I feared GPU-Z might detect only my integrated without detecting the dedicated one, while the dedicated one is there but not detected.
What about temperatures? I'll check the temperatures once I get the laptop. How much should be my temperatures ( GPU, CPU etc ) in cases of 1)idle 2) light usage ( light videos or casual gaming ) 3 ) Heavy usage ( heavy gaming and HD videos )?

I was talking about the GPU thingy because I feared GPU-Z might detect only my integrated without detecting the dedicated one, while the dedicated one is there but not detected.
What about temperatures? I'll check the temperatures once I get the laptop. How much should be my temperatures ( GPU, CPU etc ) in cases of 1)idle 2) light usage ( light videos or casual gaming ) 3 ) Heavy usage ( heavy gaming and HD videos )?

Don't worry. It'll show up ;)

As for temps, they vary widely, but my CPU idles at 41c (105f) and GPU at 36c (96f). Keep in mind though, I have a gaming laptop that will generally be cooler despite having higher end components because it was designed to stay cool. Under load the highest I've seen the CPU go is 70c (158f) and GPU 67c (153f). For checking the temps, use HWMonitor.

They vary widely, but isn't there a general temperature that when the certain component reaches, it's time to check out?

But your CPU already goes above 150F under load, is that normal?
What about GPU temps?
Also, call me paranoid but before going out to purchase that Acer I made a final check so as to make sure I didn't miss any good laptop in my budget. I found Acer 5742g, 5750g and 5755g. They all seem similar except for the fact that 5742g is mono speaker which might not be good, otherwise the difference is usually in the processor ( some models have i5, others have i7 which I don't care about since i5 is more than enough for me ). They all have GT 540M.
The only difference I cared about was screen : 5742g : TFT LCD WXGA CineCrystal
5750g : Active Matrix TFT LCD
5755g : HD LED Backlit CineCrystal
They're all within my budget, so I will most probably settle on the one with the best screen.

Back
Top Bottom