I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 9300

vintorg

Solid State Member
Hello,

I bought my Dell Inspiron 9300 back in 2004 or 2005, and I want to try and upgrade it. The only thing I have upgraded is the hard drive, when the original went dead a few years ago.

I really love my laptop, love the display, and I want to keep using it. My battery is shot, so I have to be plugged in to use it, and video seems to get stickier as time goes on.

I run Ubuntu, and my system info reads:

Memory 1001.9 MiB
Processor Intel Pentium (R) M processor 2.13GHz
Graphics Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV370
OS type 32-bit
Disk 154.5 GB

I'm not a gamer, and the most graphics-intensive video I run is an HD movie or something on youtube.

I see where I can get a new hard drive (this one is starting to get sluggish), but I need advice on what type of video card to get, and if I can get a new battery. I'm also curious if I can get a new processor, more memory, and basically an entire makeover to bring my machine to modern times.

Thanks for any help and advice!

The only thing you can upgrade is the RAM and a new HDD.

As for RAM, your system has a 2GB limit. So gaining only 1Gb more won't do a whole lot.

What do you mean by the HDD is getting sluggish?

The GPU is most likely built into your board.

The CPU upgrade, if you can upgrade it, would cost a lot, and be a negligible performance gain.

Save your money and get a new laptop, mate. It's not worth trying to upgrade this.

The only thing you can upgrade is the RAM and a new HDD.

As for RAM, your system has a 2GB limit. So gaining only 1Gb more won't do a whole lot.

What do you mean by the HDD is getting sluggish?

The GPU is most likely built into your board.

The CPU upgrade, if you can upgrade it, would cost a lot, and be a negligible performance gain.

Save your money and get a new laptop, mate. It's not worth trying to upgrade this.

Damn. You don't think there is any way I can improve the performance?

Not really, no. Get a new laptop.

That's the saddest thing I have heard all day.

Any ideas what I should get? What is good nowadays? I bought this in 2005, and it's still cranking, so I feel like I should stay with this brand, but I don't know. I like the 17" display, and the nice big keyboard area.

No budget for a 17" laptop of quality, eh? Here's my top pick.

Asus - 17.3" Laptop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - G75VW-BBK5

(Best Buy model because Newegg only has one with a 660m and it's not the best config, IMHO.)

But if you don't need quite as much power:

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire V3-771G-6601 Notebook Intel Core i5 2450M(2.50GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

As it turns out, budget 17.3" laptops aren't plentiful :p

I've never heard of Asus. Are they good quality?

Back
Top Bottom