Need a new PSU to compliment a new GPU

Danzig

Solid State Member
So based on some research and question-asking regarding a new budget GPU, I've decided on the Radeon HD 6670. My current GPU is an integrated Radeon HD 4200.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 570, I bought it refurbished from a man for $100. Everything works as it should, but I'd like that new GPU and my current PSU can't handle it, so I've been told. My current PSU is this: HP-P3017F3 POWER SUPPLY DESKTOP POWER SUPPLY 300 WATT DELL

I heard from the same source that a PSU with around 500w would be perfect. I am however on a budget, and I know very little about PSUs. I've done my research on GPUs and found out how to install them, update drivers, and so forth, but the PSU remains a mystery to me. If anyone would recommend me a guide along the lines of "PSU installation" that'd be great.

So, to sum things up, I need:
1. A (budget) PSU which can run a Radeon 6670
2. To learn how to install this PSU

Thanks tech

based on the overall cost of the computer and specifications that it needs to be a budget psu, i think that this will be acceptable

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

which comes to $30 after MIR.

for psu installation, roughly:

unplug from wall and then hold down the power button as if you were going to turn it on for 5 seconds.

open up case and unplug everything that the psu is plugged into.

unscrew the screws that are holding the psu

replace new psu with old, screw in

plug everything that was powered before with new psu cables

if it fits, it ships.

plug in to wall, turn on

rock and roll

Power supplies are the worst thing to cheap out on, and the 2nd longest lasting item in a computer, so spend the extra coin and get quality. Now I'm not saying get 1 gigawatts of power, but why not get a 650W quality Corsair or Antec,or seasonic or...

Buy once and use a lot.

i was going under the assumption of ok quality for cheap. as mentioned in the post. i explained myself.

if you have the money, definitely go for tx series corsair 650 watts and let it last.

Back
Top Bottom