Computer Instability

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobernoodles

Solid State Member
Hey..

I'll start off with my comp specs (built it myself)

-Thermaltake Purepower 480watt (Brand new)
-MSI K7N2 Delta - L
-3200 + Barton 400mhz
-2x 512mb DDR3200 (1 gig dual channel)
-Sapphire Radeon 9800 PRO w/ VGA Silencer rev 3 (o/c to XT speeds, not flashed)
-WD 80gb 8mb cache HD
-WD 20gb HD
-Samsung CDRW
-Samsung DVD ROM
-Audigy 2
-Logitech z-560 speakers -currently shaking the hell out of this house, neighbors' too :eek:

Anyways, my computer reboots randomly, games shut themselves down, and crap of this nature... Any ideas?

Well that's a pretty vague description. Could be a number of things. You check for virii, spyware, stuff like that lately? Did this just start recently? How long had it been running before it started this? Has it been a while since you've dusted it out thoroughly? What are your temperatures? Temperatures of CPU, Motherboard, and Graphics card please. Have you tried backing down your graphics card OC to see if the crashes stop?

What kind of rating do the rails on your PSU have? Are your Voltages jumpy at all?

Weak rails in the PSU would cause the computer to reboot and crash as it's simply not getting enough power, if your voltages are jumpy when you monitor them, then it's a dying PSU...

Other than that, I need some more info so get back to me on all that stuff I asked above, and be thorough please ;)

- Nubius

No bluescreens at all.

I've reformatted ever since I had to RMA a Radeon, and had to put a GF3 in... it was unstable then, with the same thing, different power supply, and the reformat did nothing.

Random apps like to crash too... Winamp crashes every now and then, just stops responding, and closes itself.

I'll check the voltages, but I don't think thats it.... Drivers maybe?

Nubius said:
Well that's a pretty vague description. Could be a number of things. You check for virii, spyware, stuff like that lately? Did this just start recently? How long had it been running before it started this? Has it been a while since you've dusted it out thoroughly? What are your temperatures? Temperatures of CPU, Motherboard, and Graphics card please. Have you tried backing down your graphics card OC to see if the crashes stop?

What kind of rating do the rails on your PSU have? Are your Voltages jumpy at all?

Weak rails in the PSU would cause the computer to reboot and crash as it's simply not getting enough power, if your voltages are jumpy when you monitor them, then it's a dying PSU...

Other than that, I need some more info so get back to me on all that stuff I asked above, and be thorough please ;)

- Nubius

No viruses, or spyware, and I'm running XP SP2 fyi.

The problem started when I got my Radeon originally. The system was unstable, so I figured it was the power supply... Turns out.... the little plug on the radeon for the fan, was somehow reversed, and thus the fan was not on. The card died later, and I got an RMA a month or so ago for it. In the meantime, I had a GF3 in there, which I thought was screwing up due to drivers conflicting... Anyways, I've had the same exact problem every since that 1st radeon.... had it with the gf3, and I have it now with the new Radeon.

I'll reboot, and check the temps, and voltages, but I doubt they are screwy. The power supply is brand new, and I have a huge case with a crapload of fans.

Ok:

System Temp: 31 C
CPU Temp: 35 C

Voltages

+3.3v Ranges from 3.34 - 3.40
+5v Rock Solid at 5.05
+12v Ranges from 11.85-11.91
-12v Ranges from -11.78 - -11.86
-5v Ranges from -4.84 - 4.89

Not sure about the video card temps, but I highly doubt that is it, the problems happened before, and the OC has not affected how often the problem occurs. Also, that VGA silencer... is HUGE. lol

what spyware program are you running? have you ran the sfc? have you peform a non-hostile restore? have you restored to last known good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom