CPU Ugrade Question

Billski

Beta member
Ok so I just had a dell product replacement and they said the parts would be equal or better all the parts seem better besides my CPU if you could please let me know which is better.

Original CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @2.40GHz 2401 Mhz, 2 core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

New CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q720 @1.60GHz, 1600Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

If you could please let me know which one is better and also if you could explain why one is better then the other that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

even though the i7 is only 1.60GHz and the C2D is 2.40GHz just seems like that C2D is blowing away the GHz

Re: Dell just swapped my comp CPU question

The i7 is WAY better than the Core 2 Duo.

C2D: dual core (2 cores)
i7: quad core (4 cores), with hyperthreading, so it splits your 4 physical cores into 8 virtual cores to help with threading processes.

Just because it runs at a lower clock speed doesn't mean its slower.

I don't really know what you mean by product replacement?

But the i7 is better then the Core 2 Duo. Although it has a slower clock speed, it's a newer, more efficient architecture and it's a quad core vs. the dual core P8600.

Here's my two cents. While the i7 is faster then the C2D, it depends on what you're using the laptop for. If you just use it for general tasks/light gaming, you're not going to notice a difference between the two. If you do audio/video editing and the likes, then you'll notice the difference with the i7.

Merged into 1 topic. As you can see posting the same question in multiple areas only leads to confusion for everyone. Post 1 topic in 1 area of the same kind. It saves everyone loads of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom