USB devices cutting in and out when there is lighting???

braz

Daemon Poster
So the other day it was storming pretty bad here. For some reason whenever there would be a strike of lighting outside, everything USB on my pc would turn off, and then back on a few seconds later. I have my pc plugged into a surge protector, there were no power outages. What could cause something so weird like this to happen haha?

Quick power loss and return ( or even just sudden power loss ) can cause electrical current to stray into places it's not supposed to. It sounds to me like a capacitor on your motherboard is blown or an inductor somewhere in the USB circuits shorts when it heats up. Either way, I recommend either replacing the mobo ( best solution because you are risking more damage to other components by using it ). You can RMA the board most likely.

Option two is to turn off your USB ports in bios and install a USB card or two inside your PC...just make sure at least one of them has a port to connect your front USB ports to.

So the other day it was storming pretty bad here. For some reason whenever there would be a strike of lighting outside, everything USB on my pc would turn off, and then back on a few seconds later. I have my pc plugged into a surge protector, there were no power outages. What could cause something so weird like this to happen haha?

It might be plugged into a surge protector, but that won't help from outages (blackouts), or low voltages (brownouts).

IMO, get a battery backup with voltage regulation. I have a couple of them (my main one has a nice LCD screen on the front that I can toggle through various screens to see how much power is being used (wattage wise, % wise, etc.), or how much time is left on the battery, etc.

hmmm I really don't think it would be a motherboard issue, this thing has been running flawlessly. This is the first time I have ever seen anything like it. Not a bad idea with the battery backup carnagex.

Back
Top Bottom