A reliable budget NAS? Any experience with WD, Seagate, Buffalo, Iomega ones?

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi there,

Anyone knows of any reliable NAS? I've been looking at the WD 2TB Personal Cloud, Buffalo LinkStation Live, Iomega Home Media, and Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex.

I've read a lot of reviews of users who have experienced a lot of problems with them all, my main concern being the drives failing after sometime.

I have a WD TV Live Hub connected to my network. My alternative, if I don't find a decent, reliable NAS, is to get an external USB 3.0, attach it to the Hub, and use as it as a NAS.

Your input is appreciated,

Rawan

Please don't make double threads on the same subject,

See my reply here: Best software to backup my PCs and Mac to a NAS? Advice with backup plan

I had no intention of making a double thread on the same subject. My other thread, posted in Microsoft Windows and Software, was to inquire about backup software I could use to back up my Mac/Windows PCs to any drive.

This post here, however, was to ask if anyone had any experience with the mentioned NAS drives.

I figured asking about software and hardware in the same thread (posted under software) might trigger a "please post in the relevant sections" comment.

My apologies for the confusion.

Please don't make double threads on the same subject,

See my reply here: Best software to backup my PCs and Mac to a NAS? Advice with backup plan

Who died and made you King?

Did you not even bother to READ the topics? So what he used similar parts in both topics. But even I see that the one clearly states SOFTWARE while this one is asking about HARDWARE. In case you didnt realize, there is a difference. So stop trying to play Staff Member and lecturing people when YOU were wrong in this instance.

@Rawan,

I honestly cant say anything in regards to the NAS aspect. I use a Buffalo and WD External Hard Drive for all my needs. The WD is almost like a NAS as it is attached to my Router, but it is just a regular run of the mill external drive not a true NAS.

The one he wrote in software sounded to me like he was looking more towards hardware than actual software.

So, I do something wrong, don't we all. I never intend to impersonate anybody.

Hi there,

Anyone knows of any reliable NAS? I've been looking at the WD 2TB Personal Cloud, Buffalo LinkStation Live, Iomega Home Media, and Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex.

I've read a lot of reviews of users who have experienced a lot of problems with them all, my main concern being the drives failing after sometime.

I have a WD TV Live Hub connected to my network. My alternative, if I don't find a decent, reliable NAS, is to get an external USB 3.0, attach it to the Hub, and use as it as a NAS.

Your input is appreciated,

Rawan

ALL mechanical drives WILL fail after some time.

Just stay away from WD Green drives and you will be fine for NAS purposes... Personally, WD Blacks are rather nice drives, but not really meant for a NAS either.

The WD RE4 drives are designed as enterprise hard drives which are supposed to be more reliable, I've heard some say that they are better than the blacks. I currently have an external connected to my netgear router for back up but would like to go with a NAS in the near future

The WD RE4 drives are designed as enterprise hard drives which are supposed to be more reliable, I've heard some say that they are better than the blacks. I currently have an external connected to my netgear router for back up but would like to go with a NAS in the near future

They are essentially Blacks with beefier components that can handle more stress IMO. You just pay one heck of a premium for those drives.

They are essentially Blacks with beefier components that can handle more stress IMO. You just pay one heck of a premium for those drives.

If you check Newegg, there's only a $20. difference between the Blacks and RE4. It is a premium drive but you get what you pay for

Back
Top Bottom