Dell Latitude won't charge. It's not the power cable.

luke127

The Ghost
Okay guys at school we have Dell Latitudes. They are the newer ones will the intel core I5 and windows 7 professional. I can't remember the series. If i find out I'll let you know. Anyway the power SOCKETS in the laptops themselves appear to be screwed. I think it's because of the lack of care. I am not sure. Will be back with more later.

That really does not help us at all. Does it run off the AC? If it does, it is nothing to do with the plug. If not, you may have to resoder the connector to the board.

That really does not help us at all. Does it run off the AC? If it does, it is nothing to do with the plug. If not, you may have to resoder the connector to the board.

Wait, what? lol

If a laptop runs off of AC... it's plugged in lol.

@luke: If the cable is fine (i.e. charges another computer / outputs the correct values as far as volts/amps), then the port is probably bad on the laptop. Does the port feel loose on when the charger is plugged in?

Since they're your school's laptops... I wouldn't try messing with them... just take them to your IT department, and they will either send them in for warranty, or will fix them themselves.

Stuff the IT. All they'll do is either hold the whole BANK of laptops and find any broken ones OR they'll send the ones I give them to the Dell guys. Now we have about 22 laptops most of which won't charge. And to make matters worse the bank that they sit in when not in use has power boards with a charger for each laptop in them. Which is in turn connected to 1 powerboard which is connected to the Ac point. So what I am saying is that 1 power point is charging 22 laptops. And the even more worse part is SOME idiot from the last class turned the powerpoint OFF.

Also the trolleys have Eco settings. So if you want them charged quickly eg over a 40 minute period or lunch. You'd set it for max. For overnight you'd set it to Eco mode which basically means that each powerboard is given power for a period of time then the next one gets power etc and it repeats. Then you have the next setting which is totally OFF. Meaning that nothing is charged.

I'd say that it's the laptops themselves that are the issue. But I can't exactly prove that. It's the way the other students handle them. Some even scratch the screens with paperclips and other metallic objects. Those are $1300 laptops EACH but bulk discounts do apply for schools. Still you don't treat something that valuable and expensive with that much disrespect. Dumb year 7's think they own the school and can do whatever they want. If I find one doing ANY damage to those laptops woe betide them. Because nothing will be able to contain my wrath.

Stuff the IT. All they'll do is either hold the whole BANK of laptops and find any broken ones OR they'll send the ones I give them to the Dell guys. Now we have about 22 laptops most of which won't charge. And to make matters worse the bank that they sit in when not in use has power boards with a charger for each laptop in them. Which is in turn connected to 1 powerboard which is connected to the Ac point. So what I am saying is that 1 power point is charging 22 laptops. And the even more worse part is SOME idiot from the last class turned the powerpoint OFF.

Also the trolleys have Eco settings. So if you want them charged quickly eg over a 40 minute period or lunch. You'd set it for max. For overnight you'd set it to Eco mode which basically means that each powerboard is given power for a period of time then the next one gets power etc and it repeats. Then you have the next setting which is totally OFF. Meaning that nothing is charged.

I'd say that it's the laptops themselves that are the issue. But I can't exactly prove that. It's the way the other students handle them. Some even scratch the screens with paperclips and other metallic objects. Those are $1300 laptops EACH but bulk discounts do apply for schools. Still you don't treat something that valuable and expensive with that much disrespect. Dumb year 7's think they own the school and can do whatever they want. If I find one doing ANY damage to those laptops woe betide them. Because nothing will be able to contain my wrath.

We had 1-to-1 laptops when I was in HS, so I understand what your'e trying to get at. But the laptops aren't your responsibility. You don't own them; the school does, and the school pays the IT department to fix them. If you want to test it, get a charger, measure the output values (with a multimeter), and see if the jack is loose inside the plug (i.e. does it wiggle around).

I am going to do that today. I'll tell the IT to have a look at them. There are abvious downsides to having 1 entire trolley in repairs though. Alright thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom