Help tweak this interesting $1000 Gaming Computer!

I'm about to order the build, I dropped the headset for now, I'll buy it later. You guys sure this MoBo is good enough? I don't want any snags while trying to OC. Please don't hesitate to chime in.

I didn't even notice you picked a GB mobo. I would avoid Gigabyte motherboards if possible. I had a few of their P67 boards and they all had problems. Gigabyte customer service/RMA is almost non-existent. I know some people have gripes about Asus, but I've yet to encounter problems with Asus boards. MSI seems fairly reliable as well. This one would be a better choice:

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

That one is open box, but I'm sure you can find a normal one somewhere. Z68 pickings are scare.

Really? I thought ASRock were the bad ones. Well I just stopped at a Microcenter and picked up the 2500k for $173 after tax!

Really? I thought ASRock were the bad ones. Well I just stopped at a Microcenter and picked up the 2500k for $173 after tax!

Noice! And ASRock has improved vastly over the years. I don't build with them, but they aren't bad.

Waiting for PP to chime in and tell you about ASRock...

So would the ASRock extreme3 be a good board then? The ASUS version is $200 and I refuse to buy an open box one >.<

Hmm I'm on a budget but after grabbing that 2500k for $173 I freed up some space...maybe I'll just pay the $140 for a ASUS Z77. While it would be a waste...there's no good z68s from what I can see at least.

Hmm I'm on a budget but after grabbing that 2500k for $173 I freed up some space...maybe I'll just pay the $140 for a ASUS Z77. While it would be a waste...there's no good z68s from what I can see at least.

I think that would be your best bet. Especially if you can find a Z77 board for a good deal. The price will be relatively close to that of a Z68, and there are more features/less issues. I didn't suggest a Z77 board because I thought (for whatever reason) that you wanted a Z68 since you picked one. The 2500k will work fine in a Z77 board.

Haven't been able to chime in. Basically, any chipset for 1155 is fine. I'm running P67 and have achieved 5ghz on my 2500k. There are only slightly minor differences between each chipset that really doesn't make the price gap worthy.

Yes, ASRock is fine.

I will also say, my friends 7870 plays every game (even my modded Skyrim) maxed perfectly at 1080p.
670 will be beast mode compared to it though.

Haven't been able to chime in. Basically, any chipset for 1155 is fine. I'm running P67 and have achieved 5ghz on my 2500k. There are only slightly minor differences between each chipset that really doesn't make the price gap worthy.

Yes, ASRock is fine.

I will also say, my friends 7870 plays every game (even my modded Skyrim) maxed perfectly at 1080p.
670 will be beast mode compared to it though.

I achieved 5.4ghz on my 2600k on a P67 board. :Peeking:

Back
Top Bottom