How Much Can YOU TWeek IT??

dirtbike_421

Solid State Member
hey i have a older pentium 4 hyperthrader and its 32bit 3 ghz maybe 3.2 but any who i have 2gb of ramm and a asus en8600gt 512 graphics..the mobo is an intel from a 2004 gateway..but what i wanna know how far could i overclock it without burning it up? im running xp profesonal sp3 and its been kinda seeming slow to me... well cuz an i7 3ghz 64bit is in the back of my mind... and its quite a differnce well let me know what and how i could achive max proformance.. id imagine if the frequncy was 3.8 ghz it would make a noticable differance but i just dont know what its capable of thanks guys!!

Do not post dual threads on the same topic. And in different sections.

Also 30 minutes is hardly time for us to reply.

im not posting duel thread this thread is about how i wanna overclock my computer becauze it is slow because its 8 yrs old.... i posted in the "hardware and trouble shoot" because my computer has been crashing abnormally allot lately.same person same computer different issues..and i was just letting all these great people who help out on these forums that even the smallest thought counts...

Its fine that you want to address multiple issues, but simply put you posted the topics at 8AM on a Monday morning. We all have jobs, lives and families. Then to post a reply less than 30 minutes later asking if any input is available is not helping your cause.

There might not even be the possibility to OC your PC. It is a Gateway and they dont unlock their BIOS for such things, which is what is needed to OC.

Its fine that you want to address multiple issues, but simply put you posted the topics at 8AM on a Monday morning. We all have jobs, lives and families. Then to post a reply less than 30 minutes later asking if any input is available is not helping your cause.

There might not even be the possibility to OC your PC. It is a Gateway and they dont unlock their BIOS for such things, which is what is needed to OC.
This. Chances are slim to none. Only way you could possibly OC is through software like Clockgen.
On top of that, P4s are heat monsters and you would need some decent cooling even if you could OC.

Not worth the time/effort to OC an older P4 on a locked motherboard as others said. Sometimes you can get lucky and press certain key combos to get a temporary unlock to change the delicate settings, but that is very rare. You also have that issue of heat mentioned, Pentium 4 processors, especially the Prescott which are the higher end P4's puts out some serious heat, and requires gobs of power.

well my bios has settings for ramm and maybe cpu frequency..you see i have no money but a garage full of everything to anything. im not worried about the heat produced i can deal with that.....i will build a water cooled heatsink with a raidiator.. i just want to know the values of the ram frequency and the clock frequency or any other settings...with proper cooling without melting my mobo......well ill write back ill get on my bios and write down all my options then post back

alright well i looked in my bios on the D915GAG mobo and it has host burn in mode, pci latency timer,sdram 266mhz to 667mhz and sdramtcl.trcd,trp,trasmin are all differnt settings but nothing about cpu.... is there a way to somehow flash or do something like change the bios so i can change these settings? or am i straight burnt?? thanks guys ur the best

It has those settings only because sometimes the motherboard does not properly detect the RAM timings and speeds. Aside from that, if vcore, FSB and multiplier settings are locked, you can't OC the CPU. Also, the heat is a key issue, even with water cooling those processors aren't good to over clock. You just can't pull the heat away from them fast enough. I have a P4 EE 64bit CPU, it has a cooler that makes my aftermarket cooler look stock due to the heat output and has a 160CFM fan on it.

The PCI latency timer is to fine tune the bus due to clock issues or changes with clock speeds that can result in issues, you should never modify that setting unless it's absolutely needed, mostly because you can damage the devices on that bus, or cause even more instability.

Back
Top Bottom