GPU Upgrade/Change

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I have an ATI Radeon HD5770 in this main system here. In the near future, once I verify everything works, I am moving to Ubuntu. Worked with it exclusively, and made me realize, 95% of my applications are open source. Open Office, VirtualBox, even Steam will work on Linux with a little work. And any of my apps, as Photoshop, has an alternative, as Gimp. Even my two games I play are compatible with Linux, Starcraft (with wine) and Minecraft.

Now, the reason for the GPU upgrade/change, Ubuntu does not play nice with ATI cards. And I have a GT460 in my dedicated Ubuntru rig, and it does wonders. Now, my 5770 does everything I need it for. So I don't necessarily need an upgrade, but if there are perks over my 5770 for just a bit more money than the latter, I'd be willing to shell out a bit more money. Is there a NVIDIA alternative to that? Maybe someone selling it in BST and is a good switch? Remember there was one for a GTS 250 in there...

I plan to get this in a month or so. Budget is around $100. I could pay an upwards of $150 if needed.

The 5770 is better than the 250 IIRC.

Last time I heard Nvidia was the ones not playing nice with Linux. I don't use Linux though so idk. Just wanted to pipe in on the performance difference between the 250 and 5770.

The 5770 is better than the 250 IIRC.

Last time I heard Nvidia was the ones not playing nice with Linux. I don't use Linux though so idk. Just wanted to pipe in on the performance difference between the 250 and 5770.

It's kind of a backwards scenario. Based on my ~6 or 7 years with Linux, ATI has always been more troublesome to get working. Very rarely have I had Nvidia graphics card issues. Nvidia was recently called out by Linus Torvalds because they were a headache to work with at the developer level, not so much as the functionality level. I.E. - You can have a decently supported product and still be an ******* to work with.

Point blank - If I had to choose instantaneously about choosing ATI or Nvidia for Linux, I'd choose Nvidia. That being said, the rumor mill is ATI is starting to get a little more solid in the Linux department. I'm not sure I'd be upset in any way if I had to run ATI/Linux in this day and age, but like I said - given the choice I'd probably sway elsewhere.

Bump, any suggestions? I think that 550Ti would do me well. The 560Ti is too much for me. (pricewise)

Edit: Or should I go for a GTX 460 (Fermi)?

OK, guys, another update here.

I now have my Samsung 830, so I loaded Ubuntu up on it. It had additional drivers for it, and installed nicely, restart, and my 2 monitors are still mirrored.

So I went into display settings and checked to stop mirroring them. It says something about that the resolution is too large for the monitor, as of which, no idea.

So, I think I need to get a new NVIDIA card, like a 550Ti.

Back
Top Bottom