upgrade problem with xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummeronfire

Solid State Member
i have a epox motherboard using 512 sd ram and a athlon xp 1600+

i was wondering if Windows Xp pro would turn invalid if i change my motherboard because a friend told me that if you change you motherboard it get classed as a new computer i have a bought version of xp cause it came with my computer for free and i dont really wanna have to borrow a friends burn version

and another thing i have a leadtek winfast geforce4 mx440 (a170)
and everytime i try to install new nvidia drivers it comes up with a error screen saying something about compatibility so i ignore it and it works fine whats the deal

O Man...I ain't good with this part on changing motherboards with the same hard drive...

LOL 50% of my mind says it'll work fine and the other 50% says it won't and you have to format and start clean! O MAN! I sux at this type of question! LOL

yeah i know about reinstalling xp but what i wanted to know was when you activate xp your only allowed a maximim of 3 things changed since you first activated the computer right

and i heard something that when you put a new motherboard in and try to activate xp wont because they class that as being a new computer and then wont activate but i dont know if its true

If you have XP on disk (LEGITIMATE COPY), you won't have any trouble. You'll have to do a new install, and to complete the activation process, you'll have to make a phone call to Microsoft. Or, you can use a BOOTLEG copy and reinstall every 30 days. (for about 2 years, at which time you will be TOTALLY locked out.)

"To activate Windows XP over the telephone, you can simply call a toll-free* number displayed on your screen. A customer service representative will ask for the installation ID number displayed on the same screen, enter that number into a secure database, and return a confirmation ID to you. Once you have typed the confirmation ID, the activation process is complete."

I agree, you will probbably need to contact Microsoft somewhere so that they know about the M/B change and all, and they might require you to get a new serial code directly from Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom