Affordable home server backup solution (4tb)

Tangolima600

Solid State Member
Hey guys, got a project that's got me scratching my head on which route I should persue when it's comes to backing up data on my4tb home server on an external HDD. My only requirements are:

Needs to be affordable (<$300) if possible
USB 2.0
Comparable with Synology NAS products

I see two routes I can go to accomplish my goal. I can find a 4TB external HDD or I can get an external HDD enclosure and fill it with internal HDDS.

I've found there are not many 4TB external HDDs and the ones I find are either exponentially more expensive as far as price for GB relative to other external HDDs. They also seem unreliable judging from user reviews too.

Open hard drive enclosures tend to be less expensive in the end considering I'll be using two WD 2TB HDDs. The only issue I seen is they may not play nice with Synology products as they might not read the HDD enclosure as one drive.

Appreciate any input that would help me narrow down my choices!

Don't go with 4TB for backup solutions. Their failure rate is much higher. Get 2TB drives.

I personally use a D-Link DNS-320. It is very nice. Easy WebGUI, RAID, Printer sharing, headless, ethernet connection, and quiet when not in use. Fans quiet when drives reach an ample temperature.

What do you mean by "play nice with Synology prosucts"? A NAS is a NAS, they don't play with other devices. It only connects to other systems over the network.

Getting two 2tb HDDs looks like the best solution for me. When I meant by saying plays nice with Synology products was that some hard drives dont like Linux operating systems. Getting two of these.

You don't need external drives for a backup server. Just get 2 x 2TB internal drives and plug them into a NAS box like I have. And every drive, I believe, will work fine with Linux file formats.

I like to have my backups to be offline for the slim chance of a power surge or malicious network intrusion. I keep my current backup in a fireproof gun safe.

Back
Top Bottom