NEW CPU

LA1978chik

Baseband Member
Hello everyone
May I ask those in the know what your recommedation is for a new CPU. The motherboard is
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard . Unfortunately the CPU I wanted for it is no longer available.
Money is not a restriction. It will be used for FSX exclusively so I will be turning off Hyperthreading. I don't think that this will be relavant in your reply but I'm not sure.
many thanks for your knowledge in helping me.

Hello everyone
May I ask those in the know what your recommedation is for a new CPU. The motherboard is
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard . Unfortunately the CPU I wanted for it is no longer available.
Money is not a restriction. It will be used for FSX exclusively so I will be turning off Hyperthreading. I don't think that this will be relavant in your reply but I'm not sure.
many thanks for your knowledge in helping me.

if you plan on overclocking, get the i7 3930K, if not, get the i7 3820.

Thank you
I found this chart Overclocking, overclocking, and much more! Like overclocking. and would like to know if I did want to save a few dollars should I go with the 3930K ( He will probably overclock) or should he stick with the more expensive 3960X. Could I get a layman's terms explanation of what the critical difference would be?
Thank you

That 3930k, will be enough -speedwise- if not more, that 3960x, is way to overkill on the price, so save your self about 500 bucks or so.
If he is using a FSX, he should have a good oc, and ram to piggy back off of oc speed for the software I recommend 3.4ghz- 3.6ghz.
If he is a scientist working in a lab on a strict timeline, yeah I recommend all the power he can get from Intel.

Um, nobody needs an X79 rig for Flight sim lol.

If you already have the board and can't return it then grab the 3820. They OC too despite common belief and it isn't hard. If you can return the board then grab a Z77 board and a 3770k and leave HT on.

You absolutely don't need an X79 setup for Flight Sim. At all. I have a 2500k at stock currently that does all the Flgith Sim games perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom