if you can figure out this madness... i love you.

I did not say he couldn't run Windows 7 with a P4 chip, or is it a celeron? but I did say it would run better if he was running it with XP. I did state it was my opinion that a dual core processor should be used with Windows 7

I have Windows 7 running on an Asus netbook with an Arm processor, yes it'll run but not great

It'd do even better with linux ;).

I did not say he couldn't run Windows 7 with a P4 chip, or is it a celeron? but I did say it would run better if he was running it with XP. I did state it was my opinion that a dual core processor should be used with Windows 7

I have Windows 7 running on an Asus netbook with an Arm processor, yes it'll run but not great

Most celerons, besides the socket 478 and early lga 775 batches would do just fine.
My old asus eee pc 900mhz mobile celeron ran windows 7 pro and ultimate on 2gbs of ram.
Although the screen size was like ****, I did turn off aero feature and the little chip couldnt be more happier.
The conroe and wolfdale celerons are very good for tiny desktops or media centers.

I don't know why, but I like the chip, the cache part in the end, is what made me go on to amd at the end of 2008. <_<

Considering the Athlon 64 @ 2.0Ghz is a hell lot more powerful than the Intel CPU... On the plus side it only has to deal with XP, while the Pentium Celeron @ 2.4Ghz has to deal with Win7 and flash video... You would be better off putting XP onto anything older than C2D when it comes to intel and an os, not win7.

Flash is very CPU intensive.... Very rarely will you see flash actually get offloaded to your GPU, as it requires a rather modern GPU to even accomplish properly, and at that point it doesn't help with todays processor.

XP ran rather nicely on 512mb of RAM, beautifully at 1GB and 2GB, Win7 needs 1GB of ram honestly, to run smooth enough you would need just a bit more IMO.

Yeah but if you want good performance than your going to have to put at least 2GB of RAM in the upstairs PC. Windows 7 is not as bad as Vista but is still pretty bad when it comes to chewing up memory.
yeah, i know i do really need to add a bit more RAM. but i previously couldent afford it, plus its not worth the effort on this old PC.

I did not say he couldn't run Windows 7 with a P4 chip, or is it a celeron?
tis a P4 based celeron.

I did say it would run better if he was running it with XP.
cant install XP, it doesnt like my DVD drive so it wont install properly...i tried.

Thanks for the help guys, problems about as solved as its gonna get right now :)

Back
Top Bottom