Comp shorting out!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardy89

In Runtime
I Built my comp and when i go to turn it on on the back of the psu(switch) the lights flash on and off, now i'm not a n expert but isnt it supposed to start up when i pressthe power button on the front of the case, which by the way it doesn't. So it seems that as soon as i flick the switch it shorts out!!!! wtf's the prob, i'v tried everything-reseating the heatsink, reseating ram graphics cards!!! I ve tried turning it on with no drives connected!!!!! I have no idea. Oh and also, if I leave the switch on the back of the psu on for a while and then switch it off the fans start turning for a few short seconds. My brother has told me that this is because of stored up energy in the capacitors on the mobo, so doesn't this mean its gettin power?
Thanx in advance!

make sure your power supply is on the correct voltage settinng ( the red switch) try using a different power supply if you one also. i have never heard of energy being stored in "capacitators" so cant help there.

you're sure your jumpers are set correctly? Check the red switch in the back and make sure it is at the correct setting for where you live. and if it still has probs try a diff PSU, the one you have ight be faulty or shorted.

energy is stored in the mobo, that's why when i clear my CMOS you count to 5 secs b4 putting jumper back on. if you don't wait long enough it doesn't drain the capacitors and it is still on previous settings. I just switch PSU on and wait and back on....works the same and i dont have to open my case and mess with jumpers and cords and all that crap.

Problem fixed, it took a few attempts but its ok, it just suddenly worked!!! Thanx anyway!

works the same and i dont have to open my case and mess with jumpers and cords and all that crap.
What do you mean you don't have to open your case? To get to the CMOS jumper?

Nubius said:
What do you mean you don't have to open your case? To get to the CMOS jumper?

I mean i don't user the jumper at all to reset CMOS. should have clarified lol. just flipping off PSU from the back, waiting 5 secs, and flipping it back on will reset my CMOS if it is corrupted. If the PC will POST it does not reset CMOS (which i am glad for bcuz if i accidentally hit it i would have to reset all the settings for nothing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom