if you can figure out this madness... i love you.

Milk_The_Elephnt

Baseband Member
computer downstairs: AMD Athlon 64, 2.0GHZ,512MB RAM, internal graphics, windows XP.
is able to sit idle with CPU at around 7%. youtube is lag-less and websites load fine.

computer upstairs: Pentium4 celerion 2.4 GHZ,1GB RAM, Radeon 512MB,winbdows 7.
able to sit idle with CPU at 100%. youtube is unwatchble, (it feels like im seeing 1 frame in 50) every website is slow as to load.

What is this madness????

Do you have Aero enabled on the Win7 machine? If it is... I'd disable it to free up some resources. What's taking up all the CPU resources? All drivers up to date?

yep, Aero is turned on, i hadn't turned it off because the gfx cards quite a decent one. but i'll try it :)
as up to date as i can get yes!
strangely this all happened when i connected the machine to the internet...

If you can, an extra gig or 2 of RAM would help out a lot IMO.

If it happened when you put it on the internet... then it could be a number of things: windows updates running or installing in the background, malware infection (if no AV is installed), etc.

You really shouldn't be running Windows 7 on a P4 or Celeron (which is it?) chip with only one gig of ram, You will get much better performance running XP
My personal minimum for W7 is at least a dual core chip and 2 gigs of memory

what kind of antivirus are you using?

turning off Aero has help a little so i s'pose thats that solved. dont know why i didnt think of it myself!? ;P cheers :)
Yeah, Aero is a bit resource heavy, so turning it off can help performance.

You really shouldn't be running Windows 7 on a P4 or Celeron (which is it?) chip with only one gig of ram, You will get much better performance running XP
My personal minimum for W7 is at least a dual core chip and 2 gigs of memory

what kind of antivirus are you using?

A P4 is fine; it's mostly the RAM that's a bit limiting. I know several people that have run Win7 on lower end machines just fine.

Yeah but if you want good performance than your going to have to put at least 2GB of RAM in the upstairs PC. Windows 7 is not as bad as Vista but is still pretty bad when it comes to chewing up memory. Check your task manager to see what's using all the memory. Press Control Shift Escape or ctrl alt delete and start task manager.

I did not say he couldn't run Windows 7 with a P4 chip, or is it a celeron? but I did say it would run better if he was running it with XP. I did state it was my opinion that a dual core processor should be used with Windows 7

I have Windows 7 running on an Asus netbook with an Arm processor, yes it'll run but not great

Back
Top Bottom