windows wont load.

roxel

Beta member
This morning I wake up. Start browsing reddit and my computer randomly goes through the shut down process. I restart it and it goes through the normal stuff and get to the point where windows is about to load. It'll just sit there with the _ blinking. So I put my HDD in my room mates computer boots up fine. I put his HDD in mine, boots up fine. Whats the deal? can anyone help me resolve this issue?

This morning I wake up. Start browsing reddit and my computer randomly goes through the shut down process. I restart it and it goes through the normal stuff and get to the point where windows is about to load. It'll just sit there with the _ blinking. So I put my HDD in my room mates computer boots up fine. I put his HDD in mine, boots up fine. Whats the deal? can anyone help me resolve this issue?

Hmm, a little bit odd, but reboot your machine with the hdd in it, and make sure it is set to be in the first boot order.
If you have any flash drives or any removal media, disconnect it and see if it will boot.
If not, if you can get so far as to the safemode option using f8 during post, try it.
Once you are able to do that successfully, check and see if windows may have updated something on your machine to prevent itself from fully booting.
May I ask why you were browsing reddit by chance, I swear if you hear of people swear by staying out of editing windows registry with a scared look...
At times its for a good reason, if you dont know how to modify something, even some techs like me prefer not to go into it, not unless its needed and calls for it. ;)

Welcome to techist.com!

Hmm, a little bit odd, but reboot your machine with the hdd in it, and make sure it is set to be in the first boot order.
If you have any flash drives or any removal media, disconnect it and see if it will boot.
If not, if you can get so far as to the safemode option using f8 during post, try it.
Once you are able to do that successfully, check and see if windows may have updated something on your machine to prevent itself from fully booting.
Try what Mike suggested; removable media can be a big thing; odd that your friend's HDD booted fine when yours wouldn't, and that yours booted fine in his machine without a problem. Try Safe Mode as suggested and see if it boots up.

May I ask why you were browsing reddit by chance, I swear if you hear of people swear by staying out of editing windows registry with a scared look...
At times its for a good reason, if you dont know how to modify something, even some techs like me prefer not to go into it, not unless its needed and calls for it. ;)

Welcome to techist.com!

He said reddit, not regedit ;). Reddit is a website.

yes all media connections were taking out before hand.. I even reformatted my drive in my buddies PC. still Nothing. My friend just found this link. ( Ubisoft "Uplay" DRM exposed as rootkit | Hacker News ) I was recently playing asscreed revelations. Think this could be a possibility..

Heh... I read the link you provided, if you think there is a problem with that game, try calling ubisoft directly if possible and see what they say.
If they refuse to do anything which is likely, all you can for now, is uninstall the game and wait for them patch up the game.
One user found that a plugin in his browser from the game might be half of the issue there.

20+ angry gamers and tech geeks who play ubisoft games, is not a good thing... :\

yes all media connections were taking out before hand.. I even reformatted my drive in my buddies PC. still Nothing. My friend just found this link. ( Ubisoft "Uplay" DRM exposed as rootkit | Hacker News ) I was recently playing asscreed revelations. Think this could be a possibility..
If your computer booted up fine in your friend's computer, then it has to be a hardware/software conflict between your configuration on your HDD and your computer's hardware. Did you try booting into safe mode as suggested to see if you could boot?

Heh... I read the link you provided, if you think there is a problem with that game, try calling ubisoft directly if possible and see what they say.
If they refuse to do anything which is likely, all you can for now, is uninstall the game and wait for them patch up the game.
One user found that a plugin in his browser from the game might be half of the issue there.

20+ angry gamers and tech geeks who play ubisoft games, is not a good thing... :\

20 gamers is a HUGE minority dude. Plus, they'll just deny that their DRM software is safe and nothing is wrong, regardless.

20 gamers is a HUGE minority dude. Plus, they'll just deny that their DRM software is safe and nothing is wrong, regardless.

Noticed how I said in my post 20 Plus people ,meaning more than the current people playing ubisoft games and posting about this issue on the forum thread would be angry or are right about now.
Also, if you think ubisoft is perfectly safe, you be the one to test which game he's using and see if the problems come up.
Ubisoft isn't immuned to becoming unsafe like any other pc game companys at times in the years.

Noticed how I said in my post 20 Plus people ,meaning more than the current people playing ubisoft games and posting about this issue on the forum thread would be angry or are right about now.
You should have used a larger quantifier rather than "20+", so it would seem like you meant more than a minority. Using a small quantity implies a small number of people rather than a large number (majority) ;).

Also, if you think ubisoft is perfectly safe, you be the one to test which game he's using and see if the problems come up.
Ubisoft isn't immuned to becoming unsafe like any other pc game companys at times in the years.

I'm not saying that they're not immune... Remember SecuROM, and the fiasco that brought up when people discovered that was pretty much a rootkit on their system as well? What I said was if you were to call Ubisoft and ask them about it, they will tell you it's not a rootkit, but it's just a security measure for DRM to protect copyright (which is funny because pirates get around every form of DRM to date: companies are just hurting the normal consumer and making a challenge for the pirate).

Plus you're making it sound like the whole company got infected, and somehow a rootkit / worm got distributed out with a final release, which isn't the case at all. So I don't know what you mean by "Ubisoft isn't immune to becoming unsafe."

From what I read on the link posted previously, it was more bad development that could possibly be exploited, than a rootkit.

You should have used a larger quantifier rather than "20+", so it would seem like you meant more than a minority. Using a small quantity implies a small number of people rather than a large number (majority) ;).
Plus you're making it sound like the whole company got infected, and somehow a rootkit / worm got distributed out with a final release, which isn't the case at all. So I don't know what you mean by "Ubisoft isn't immune to becoming unsafe."
From what I read on the link posted previously, it was more bad development that could possibly be exploited, than a rootkit.

Your missing my main point and post to him, if there is something wrong with the game, if ubisoft knows about it but cannot fix it right away or at all, then their is nothing he can do for now, but wait or skip them.
For all we know, the company may have made a error in the coding, so no one has officially heard why this is going on.

It could be anything, just like that recent GTX 680 release problem that happened, wasn't infected, but gave quite a few people a loop of a headache why it was erroring out so badly. :\

@roxel, if you find out what happens by removing the game and using os without it and other games, let us know if it persist or not. ;)

Thing is, he said it booted fine in a friend's computer. That suggests to me its an issue between some software or driver on his computer and his hardware... not just software.

He hasn't said for sure if he attempted Safe Mode or not.

Back
Top Bottom