A good machine to run a large minecraft server on?OR Can i buy a minecrat server (not pay monthly)?

JackOfSpades11

Beta member
Soon, in a few months or so, i will be creating a minecraft server that i know for a fact will ave many players. I was wondering if i can buy a machine/computer tht would run the server efficiently. all the computer has to do is run the server with enough memory for maybe a max of 300 slots. Thats all the computer/machine will be doing, no microsoft word, no nothing. Just the server.

-------OR--------

Is it possible for me to BUY, not pay monthly, a minecraft server? I believe it would be called VPS or something? Please answer, and if i worded anything wrong, tell me and ill add additional details.

PS the machine would have to run the server 24/7

Thx in Advance

Also, don't just say that you can just download a server start from the site (minecraft.net) cuz i need something powerful enough to handle 300 player slots (give or take a few)

Heres a little info that i thought might help.

[100mb = 1 player
so, if 1gb (dnt worry about the 24mb left over) holds 10 players
then 30gb would hold 300 players (slots)]

Hope this helps

(ive posted this on yahoo and got idiotic responses. I hope tech forums isnt the same)

First question... What kind of internet connection will you be working with? Upstream bandwidth matters just as much as the computer it's running on.

As a comparison, I host a ~6 player server on Mint Linux command line only, 1GB RAM, 3Ghz Core 2 Duo and an old hard drive I had laying around. I notice lag, which I'm assuming is because of the hard drive.

So I'd recommend nothing less than a higher end Core i7 and at least 24GB RAM and if possible.. a large solid state drive.

The only MC servers I know of are rentals

Back
Top Bottom