Help configuring the SSD I just bought

Druid

Fully Optimized
so I just got a 240GB corsair force 3 ssd. I need help configuring it.

Read this:

You are using the wrong driver (pcide). This driver will give you the poorest performance on a SF12xx SSD. Next is the default ms ahci driver followed by the better of the three iaSTOR (Intel's ahci driver.

Not sure if you can update the pcide driver to the iaStor - I had to re-install.

Need to download the Intel RST matrix driver (Ver 9.6 or latter.). You also need to download intel's "F6" driver (Caution, get correct version 32 bit or 64 vit). Put this on a thumbdrive. Install Win 7 custom install. On page where you select where to install windows, look for a little check box for additional drivers (should be lower left side).

from here:

[Solved] Configuring TRIM - ssd - Storage

When attempting to install intel RST, I get: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

So I have to put both intel rst and f6 on a floppy and install again? And then I will be optimally configured? And windows isn't seeing my original hdd either. Thanks.

All you should have to do is enable AHCI in your bios and then format and install Windows.

To see if TRIM is on, all you have to do is open cmd and type this in:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If 0 then it's on.

But, I mean, I'm using a slow driver, right? I would have to reinstall with those two things to get the faster drivers, right?

Driver shouldn't really make all that much of a difference in speed if any at all. The max sequential you're gonna see if 285 both ways because you don't have SATA 3 ports.

Alright, so switched to ahci, and now it goes to the screen where it says it is starting windows. After 5-10 seconds, it flashes a blue screen really fast and then restarts. It continually loops this. I should also mention, windows was taking forever to start up before this and moving at a snail's pace.

Did you format and reinstall Windows to your SSD after the switch? You have to or else it wont work. If you are trying to boot from your old HDD after the switch that wont work either.

ok, if I gotta reinstall anyway, I might as well install that other stuff. And this is gonna make my hdd be recognized by windows? Thanks

You can't switch drive modes in the middle of an install and then just try to boot up ;). There's drivers you can download / modify to get it to work without reinstalling, but you'd have to lookup how to do that if you wanted to.

Yes, after switching to AHCI in BIOS, you'll have to reinstall and it should be recognized fine.

Any drive SSD or HDD configured under IDE mode needs to be formatted to be recognized under AHCI.

I wouldn't bother with the other crap personally. I bet for the time wasted there will be no difference seen.

Any drive SSD or HDD configured under IDE mode needs to be formatted to be recognized under AHCI.

Unless you do the driver install / system file tweak that I mentioned earlier. I've done it before on a couple systems just to see if it would work, and it worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom