Bulidng A laptop for Grad. Project, Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks

Thanks Guys this is all good input

I browsed a little more and did find some places that offered laptop parts but they were hard to find like you guys said. I might think on it for a little while and see what comes up.

Thanks again :D
Oaktree5489

well you know those really slim server cases? you could always put one of those in there and do the power management like was mentioned. I think its small enough but you would have to look and see.

Leonidas said:
4w4k3, you seem really positive on these briefcase computers, have you built one? what did you put in it? an ATX board? and just mounted it to th briefcase? then mount an LCD in it? plug all of it into a power strip then leave the powerstrip cord bared on the outside? plug it in and your set to go with your comp?

I "helped" put one together lol. My sis bf had one a while ago (older specs...just for fun) and i wanted to help him out. You can generally use an mini-atx board for saving space, and you want to have it raised off the bottom of the briefcase so it's less likely to short. you gotta drill mounting holes for the screws and all that so it'll fit nice and tight. You can mount the LCD on the inside lid with just a slapped together strap on all 4 corners or you could actually drill it in there if you want to dissasemble the LCD and drill through the plastic (amke sure you suppport inside with some thicker metal though..so plastic wont crack due to downwards weight when closed). Just mount PSU in there and drill a hole for the cord. We wanted to drill holes for ALL thje connections but time was slipping and it's kinda tedious, can mount fans if you drill 80mmholes as well...but we didnt go that far as it wasn't that hot for an older mobo/cpu in there.

i wanna try it with a laptop so it can run on a battery:) that would be true briefcase mobility lol. mount keyboard on plexiglass above computer parts and put a few CCFL lights underthere...that would look sweet.

Leonidas said:
doesnt sound too bad at all :) may try that if i ever have a drill and 1000$ sitting around...

lol no, if you have $1K sitting around you should mail it to me:)

hehe, if i had 1k sitting around id be getting a 6800 GT and the viper case, along with a fast little 30-40 gig harddrive, and a homebuilt water-cooling system :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom