XP and SuSE 9.1 PRO Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
GameGURU said:
Can anyone help me on how to do this?

that isnt the most descriptive question....

do you have the CDS? Are you starting fresh (No OS)

you will need to provide a lot more info to get help on something like this....

I have SuSE Linux 9.1 Pro and XP PRO. I want to setup a dual boot, i though i could do it by myself but i cant. I have installed linux once and its on, but GRUB gves me an error that says GRUB Read Error. Im assuming im doing something wrong. I have two Hard Drives and my 20gb is the one i am using for linux. Completley new at this...im not sure what to say that will help because i am so new at it.

dual boot with grub

I kept hammering away at the YaST boot config tool. I've read it can be done. But with menu's embedded in more menus I can't seem to find the right terms.
I have hde as my linux drive and hdg as my XP drive. I got GRUB to list windows XP but can't get the right terms in GRUB to boot from that hdg drive. hde and hdg are totally different drives physically.

In the sections management section of the boot loader setup i have this:
| OPTION.............| VALUE

Section name .... WINDOWS XP
Section type........ image
root ..................... /dev/hdg
kernal.................. /vmlinuz root=/dev/null

I have no idea what terms to use setting the root and kernal

Now the linux section goes like this:
Section name........... Linux

Section type ............ image

kernal........................(hdo,12)/boot/vmlinuz root= hde13 vga= 0x317 splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hde5 showopts

initrd ........................(hd0,12)/boot/initrd

Question is how to I edit the windows section with what terms to get GRUB to do what it does best?

GameGURU,

Try to reinstall. But before you install, create manually, partitions in the 2nd HDD( linux drive) from windows XP. Create ext2/ext3 partitions.
Then install suse . select the 'manual partition' in one of the screens during installation, and select the partition that you created (ext2/ext3) and continue with the install.

Grub read error might be that, suse is not compatible with the filesystem you created.

codes:)

raypsi13,

I use Fc3 with XP (dual boot) . My grub file is show below. Take a look, might be of some help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd1,7)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
root (hd1,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

codes:)

SuSE 8.0 and XP

Well I know SuSE 8.0 was smart enough to do it's GRUB thang. Cause I had a identical system, I mean 2 hard drives XP and SuSE. And you're right reinstall would do it. I'm just trying to keep from backing up all my files and then re installing those to. I got's 9.1 now, with an image of 9.2 pro on the HD.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom