Problems after a Upgrade.

bloxx

Beta member
A friend has asked me to replace with processor fan etc as it was making a lot of noise and not really cooling. So a Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 was ordered.

However when it came time to remove the old fan and heatsink etc the old Thermal paste was very sticky and was pretty much thick glue. It came of a AMD Phenom 2 x6 (AM3). IT was carefully cleaned off some new artic silver paste went and the new cooler went on with out any issues.

When its powered on it does not want to boot. No input from the screen and no BIOS screen of any sort comes up. So i went fault finding and removed the GPU so it was running on the on-board again. Also i have removed the DVD/RW and the HDD, I have tested the RAM in a another PC and works fine. I have left 1 stick in it so it does have ram. There is nothing plugged into the Ports apart from the keyboard and Monitor,

However doing some googleing and found next to nothing to help. :annoyed:

Is there any otherthing i can try. I cant understand why replacing the cooler causes trouble.

Many thanks,
Bloxx

Make sure that the new cooler is functioning properly. Contacting the heat-spreader evenly, fan is turning, powering up at startup, etc.
How did you clean the old Thermal Paste?
If some of this got in the pin area, or on the motherboard, it can cause a short as most of it is electrically conductive and/or capacitive.
I would reclean around the CPU socket to ensure that there is no TIM residue left. Also, pull the processor and be sure that no liquid got on the pins, or that the pins are bent. Thoroughly inspect the socket without the CPU in it.

I have used a ear bud to remove the old stuff. Used the same method many many times and has never failed me. It was a bit tricky as the stuff went that gluey/sticky but i got there in the end. The fan etc is starting up and spinning ok and as the heatsink has brackets for AMD's so it was very easy to put in evenly.

I will look at the CPU and have a good inspection of it. And i will look at the socket. I will need to be careful of the thermal paste on it as i have now ran out of the stuff. If there is anything in the socket / pins and what is the best thing to clean them with?

I have seen cpu get pulled out even when locked down from very stubborn thermal paste, you might want to look at that again and even possibly check for any bent pins on the cpu

I have managed to solve the problem. Horay. I did take the heatsink off and take the processor out and have a good look around. There was a little bit of dust so a air can managed to clean it out.

However connecting it all up again it still would not do anything. So i called it a night and decided to try again today.

Plugged the tower etc back in and a different monitor was plugged in. The monitor i used the night before is being used on my spare computer which i am also working on.

All plugged in and ready to go, switch it on and it works perfectly. Could not believe what was going on. So i go wondering on what has been going on and switched both towers off and switch the monitors over. Spare one works ok but the 6 core did nothing when plugged into the one i used last night.

Is there any reason why it would be doing this?

Is there any reason why it would be doing this?
Hm, what kind of AMD board does he have ?
It sounds like the motherboard reset itself when trying to adjust to the hardware attached to it.

I've had that happen to me while cleaning off mobo, vga card and cpu and reinstalling again for the longest time and I just bare with it.

Its a ASROCK n68-GS3 with a AMD Phenom 2 X6 @ 2.8GHz.

Heh, if that problem happens again and becomes frequent when changing out parts or even cleaning it, your best option is to look into a new motherboard.

Good luck with your computer. ;)

Well my friend will be pleased with the PC back and running much cooler and quieter. :) . I have be switching it on and off every now and then and it seem's to be running fine. If it does play up again ill mention a newer board so it a upgrade and repair at the same time.

Thanks all,

Back
Top Bottom