Laptop screen almost completely black

Skorpian

In Runtime
Hello there TF people.
A problem popped up in my brother's lappy. When he turns it on, the " Dell screen " is ok. The windows xp loading screen is almost black ( it looks like the laptop's backlight is bad as if you look at a certain angle you can see the stuff on the screen ).
The XP welcome screen appears perfectly normal and the laptop remains normal for a few secs, then it goes black the same way as dell screen. If I close the lid and open it quickly, the screen is normal for a few secs, then go same black again.
I'm currently running a scan via Avira.
What could be the problem?
Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Either you have a bad backlight, or a connection is loose.

I'd say just get a new screen, easiest way fix it. What is your make and model?

I wouldn't say it's the backlight, since it always lights at same points, and doesn't light at the same points. For example, it always lights at Dell and always lights at welcome screen.
The lappy is a Dell Vostro 1510.

I've had a monitor that had a bad backlight, and it did similar to that. Because it was pulsating the monitor as the system splash and Windows welcome thing, cause its changing from dormant to video.

But I'd open it up, nonetheless, and make sure the monitor cable is snug. To get at it, you need to remove the top panel above your keyboard where the power button is. as seen here: Dell Vostro Laptop Keyboard Replacement - YouTube

That should gain you access to where the video power cable comes down.

Neither I nor my brother has any experience with opening up laptops. I think it'd be best to take it to a shop then.
So, this is 100% a hardware issue? There can't be a virus which causes such a thing?

Okay, my brother shook the laptop and it worked for a little while, then back to black screen. Does this confirm that it's a loose connection?

Back
Top Bottom