Compatability Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas

In Runtime
So this if my first comp i am building and I've put together a rough list of what I have looked at. I am mainly gonna use the pc for gaming. Please tell me any suggestions or compatibilty issues.

Heres my list:
Intel Pentium 4 processor/2.2 ghz-$109
chaintech spt800 SUmmit via Pt800 motherboard-$45
Seagate 80gb 7200rpm Hard Drive-$62
Rosewill Black Atx Mid twoer case-$29
Kingston 184 pin 512mb DDR-$79
Apollo Nvidia Geforce Fx5200 Video card 128mb DDR-$53

All of these parts where on newegg.com. Also im trying to keep the cost as low as possible but still have a mid range gaming computer.

I highly suggest you go with something other than the FX5200 although I know it is nice and cheap, it's cheap for a reason, it really sucks balls, it's a mainstream model and doesn't have a few features that other cards have. Read about it here:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_desktop.html

That thing definitely was NOT meant for graphics and you'll probably be really disappointed with it's performance. Tell me what your absolute top budget could be on a vid card and whether you need an AGP or PCI card and I'll help you find a better one for your needs.

Other than that everything else looks fine, except I would probably also suggest puttin in maybe $15 more for a better motherboard, althought theres nothing wrong with the one you've chosen, it's fairly plain and besides that (as something being plain isn't really a valid arguement) there are more reputable and better quality manufacturers out there like MSI, ABit, DFI, and I say that's on my top list of mobos

I agree with Nubius about the mobo. Another thing to look at is if your mobo (this one or another that you have selected) supports a dual channel memory configuration. If it does, get 2 sticks of ram (2X256MB) rather than just 1X512MB. You'll probably notice a difference in performance with dual channel.

About the vid card, I don't know a whole lot about nvidea cards, but I can suggest an ATi Radeon 9200. It's quite cheap and it performs pretty good. I own the 9200, it wont run doom 3 very well but other games like NFSU 2 and Painkiller run excellently.

Nubius might know of a cheaper, better nvidea card for you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom