Questions- Processors

Hayden13

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm looking for new computers and I'm debating which one to get, to me it comes down to the speed and price of the computers. I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to get the i3, this one here Intel® Core, the i5, this one http://ark.intel.com/products/53446/Intel-Core-i5-2320-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz)
or pay a little bit more and get the i7
Intel® Core

Price of the i3 computer- $549 http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod6930120&navAction=push
Price of the i5 computer- $749 http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5740152&navAction=push
Price of the i7 computer- $899 does not include monitor http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod6950032&navAction=push
I'm getting this computer for gaming and Revit rendering on it's highest settings.

Revit CPU High Performance requirements- Multi-Core Intel Xeon, or i-Series processor or AMD equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended.
Revit products will use multiple cores for many tasks, using up to 16 cores for near-photorealistic rendering operations.

Also if you have any other suggestions please feel free to express your ideas to me.
Check this out too please, should I get it? http://athensga.craigslist.org/sys/3132402074.html

If you are going to be running s CPU intensive program, do NOT buy the one from craigslist.
I don't see how c0rr0sive comment about using Newegg for computers is an attempt to make you look stupid.
It's a bit silly to say something like "Also if you have any other suggestions please feel free to express your ideas to me." and then lash out at someone for them attempting to help you; relax.

The $899 computer would handle CPU intensive programs well, but not gaming. Are you willing to build a computer yourself? If so, what is your budget?
Pcityourself is a great website for an introduction to building computers. The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

Nope, he only want's prebuilt from samsclub, let him get the crap from samsclub, no need to attempt in helping him further when he could get superior components/quality from other places for similar prices.

Look on Newegg.com for computers, not samsclub or walmart....
Instead of (....) you could have said something like, Samsclub isn't the best place to look for new computers but Newegg.com is great for gaming desktops. And then you could have given advice on the processors like what I asked for instead of (hey everybody look at this moron wanting to buy computers from SAMSCLUB...

It's a bit silly to say something like "Also if you have any other suggestions please feel free to express your ideas to me." and then lash out at someone for them attempting to help you; relax.
I'm perfectly relaxed, I'm just a little sick of everyone treating me like I'm an idiot.
Are you willing to build a computer yourself? If so, what is your budget?[/url]
This is what I would like/ need for an upcoming drafting/architecture class and gaming- I will need 16gb -24gb (8GB at the least) memory for Revit. Plus a top of the line Graphics card, 3.2GHz or more processor (Quad)(Preferably i7 or AMD), 1 TB HDD, USB 3.0 for faster portable HDD data transfer, no monitor keyboard or mouse, and a cheap case. $1200 in total.
I AM WILLING TO BUILD THIS MYSELF

Instead of (....) you could have said something like, Samsclub isn't the best place to look for new computers but Newegg.com is great for gaming desktops. And then you could have given advice on the processors like what I asked for instead of (hey everybody look at this moron wanting to buy computers from SAMSCLUB...

So let me get this straight, because he put (...) at the end you've decided to take it as a personal insult and somehow infer "moron" and "idiot" from it?

I'm perfectly relaxed, I'm just a little sick of everyone treating me like I'm an idiot.
He also constitutes "everyone" too?

Also do not double post, read the rules and stop insulting the mods by breaking them. See what I did there? ;)

He also constitutes "everyone" too?
Who said that this forum constitutes for everyone? There are other people in the world (real life) who may treat me like an idiot. He was also clearly using sarcasm. The double post was also just an honest misunderstanding, because I cannot move it or delete it, I put it in another section. Either way, S0ULphIRE, I respect you and the work you do, because you have helped me 3 times since I joined this forum without being rude, arrogant, or disrespectful.

Any way, thank you Roark! I now have a new goal! I have just a few more paychecks (hopefully) and I'm good to go!
Also, c0rr0sive, I'm sorry for "snapping" on you. I hope this doesn't effect our meetings in the time to come.

Here is a potential build.
However, I am not too sure about the video card. The 560 should offer more performance than a similarly priced workstation video card, but I am not entirely sure how they compare in a workstation environment. I believe workstation video cards are primarily used due to support. However, you get a lot more performance for the money with standard desktop video cards.

Operating System - $140
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

Processor - $340
Core i7-3770K

Motherboard - $155
MSI Z77A-GD55

RAM (16GB) - $115
G.SKILL 1600 16GB

Storage Drive - $120
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Boot Drive - $120
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB

Video Card - $180
EVGA GTX 560

Power Supply - $90
CORSAIR TX650 V2 650W

DVD/CD Drive - $18
LITE-ON DVD Burner

Computer Case - $60
COOLER MASTER HAF 912

Total comes to approximately $1340 with $50 in rebates.

Compared with the $900 HP this has more RAM, faster RAM, less storage space, but an SSD, which is much quicker than any hard drive, faster processor (only slightly so), and much more power in the video card.
If the non k version of the 3770 becomes in stock, that would be a cheaper better alternative assuming you don't plan on overclocking.

Also, if you want a workstation grade card, this will do for a similar cost. However to get a lot of performance you are looking at above $300 for the card alone.
Newegg.com - AMD 100-505649 FirePro V4900 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 Workstation Video Card
It is also certified, here's the list.
Autodesk - Certified Hardware - Find Recommended Hardware

Back
Top Bottom