Liquid cooling question

pro2a

In Runtime
So I got a new processor today to compliment my new memory. An AMD FX 8150 Zambezi 8-CORE :D

Anyway... Talk me into a liquid cooling system... I've seen them, I'm interested, but I'm not familiar. Pro's and cons? My main concern is how much space it will take. I have a nice sized case but I'm not big into diving into unfamiliar tech. My dad says they work good for multi-core processors because they get so hot, especially with high graphic games. I think Flight Sim X qualifies...

What should I look for and stay away from? What can I expect to pay for a decent cooling system? Thanks.

My opinion is that water cooling is a waste of money if you are not overclocking.
Regarding water coolling, there are two types, water cooling kits that usually contain an enclosed system, and custom water cooling.
Custom water cooling is usually for the extremist who will be pushing overclocks. Building a custom water cooling loop is expensive, time consuming, requires planning, and requires regular maintenance (usually monthly). Expect to pay 200+ USD.

The kits, such as the ZALMAN CNPS20LQ Ultimate Liquid CPU Cooler are contained and designed to be maintenance free. However, it should still be notes that a liquid is in your computer and a leak can cause problems, so inspection on a regular basis is necessary.
The water cooling kits are usually used for a portable computer, as the very large copper heatsinks can wobble a bit in transport, and also used for moderately high end cooling on more expensive kits such as the CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
These water cooling kits in general produce high performance (although not comparable to a custom set-up) while keeping a small profile and low weight.
However, most water cooling kits are beat by similarly priced air coolers in terms of cooling. Most water cooling kits are relatively quiet, whereas a typical air cooler may be louder. Expect to pay 50-150 for a water cooling kit.

One potential problem with water cooling kits would be if you want a dual radiator, you would need a compatible case.

You really don't want a typical water cooling loop, it'll cost as much as your setup does. Water blocks cost $80 and up.

Like Ghost said, The all-in-one setups, Corsairs, Coolits (thety make Corsair) Zalmans etc, are okay. They, other than the H100, cool as well as an equally priced air cooler.

HOWEVER, their many advanage is size. Because the block is relatively small, compared to a air cooler, they fit in any case with a 120mm rear exhaust. They aslso do not put a large twist strain on the mobo, and don't limit yoyur ram choices.

In honesty, they AREN'T as quiet as they look, and so a decent air cooler like a noctua, is perfect and you don't need to worry bout leakage, though most manufactuers do warrentee the damAge.

I even overclocked my i5 760 to 4GHZ with air. So overclocking does not always have to do with water cooling.
Ummm, okay... No one said it did.

@ patronb: Basically you are saying their are regular air coolers out there that will do the same job as a liquid cooler? At least that is how I am reading it. If so, how do they work as opposed to a generic cooler? I checked out the Noctua coolers and maybe I'm not understanding the difference. Could you elaborate a little more?

@ patronb: Basically you are saying their are regular air coolers out there that will do the same job as a liquid cooler? At least that is how I am reading it. If so, how do they work as opposed to a generic cooler? I checked out the Noctua coolers and maybe I'm not understanding the difference. Could you elaborate a little more?

Like mindovermaster stated, the only reason to water cool is if you are planning on doing high overclocks of your CPU. I ran a Megahalems on my i7-920 with it oc'd at 3.8 for a year with no issues... That "air" setup ran me around $80ish and that is including the fan. He is saying that compare an $80 "air" setup to an $80 watercooling "kit" and the air setup will perform much better. The only difference is that with a watercooling loop you get a legit sized radiator and that helps you when you are heavily overclocked. I vote you go for a nice air setup. I know Slaymate on here was hitting some very high numbers with his air cooling setup...

I'm not one into OCing... I haven't ventured into that territory. But I do play some pretty graphic intensive games. I'll check out a nice air cool setup, and worse case scenario if my temps get too hot for my liking then I may look into a liquid cool. Thanks for the help guys.

In graphic intensive games, it is likely your GPU will catch on fire first. As for that, I would get a 3rd party GPU cooler. Thermaltake is my favorite, but there are others.

In graphic intensive games, it is likely your GPU will catch on fire first. As for that, I would get a 3rd party GPU cooler. Thermaltake is my favorite, but there are others.

LOL! Catch on fire... That's a new one! What do you recommend for that? Over the next month or two I plan on really getting my tower up to speed tech wise. I've also been debating on getting a USB 3.0 case (with ports in the front that is). My current MoBo has two 3.0 ports on the back.

Back
Top Bottom