Laptop won't run even after factory reset

XD375

Beta member
I have no idea what happened. I'm posting this from a 3DS so please bear with me... Last night, my Vista computer randomly started giving me problems. It would black screen right after the Windows loading screen. This black screen would stay for a long time until the computer would reset. After trying repeatedly, it finally started getting to the login screen, but it was slow as heck. It would take fifteen minutes just to load to the desktop from there, and absolutely none of my drivers would work. Typing stuff withun Windows would go at normal speed, and Firefox, while it would take forever to load, would run normally when I wasn't trying to open a new page or tab. Copying files to a USB drive would take twenty minutes just for a hundred megabytes. The only partition of my hard drive that would load was the main partition where Windows was. Windows Explorer would periodically stop working and need to restart. When the DVD drive suddenly started working again, I used the factory restore discs. The setup took forever to load, but from then things were normal speed, until it asked to remove the disc and restart so I could set up Windows. Once again Windows is taking forever to boot, and whenever it finally does, I get this:
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.
What happened? Can it be fixed?

If you can, open a command prompt as admin, and type in the following:

chkdsk c: /f /r

It will say something about cannot lock the current drive, and to schedule it on next reboot. Type in Y and hit enter, and then reboot. It should run a chkdsk. If it says "disk clean, skipping check" just boot back into Windows, and re-run the command (have seen this happen a few times, just gotta do it a second time and it will go through). It may take a while to run.

I would suggest backing up any important files that you wish to keep before trying this, however, just in case your drive may be failing.

As I said in my post, I've already totally wiped my drive using factory reset discs...

Try hooking the hard drive up to another computer, one that has Windows. Then run Crystal Disk Info on that computer be sure to select the correct hard drive to check.

If you have your install discs, boot off of them. See if there is a recovery console option or anything like that. If you can get to a command prompt, then run the command I stated above.

You can even get a WinPE disc, or even a XP Recovery Console ISO, burn that to a disc, and run recovery console from there.

I've finally obtained a Vista Recovery Disc, and it runs like a snail too. It told me it found errors and to restart to fix them, but after restarting it doesn't seem to be doing anything... UPDATE: I ran the disc again and got all the way to Command Prompt. CHKDSK didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom