Upgrading to SSD

mouldeeves

Baseband Member
I'm still stuck on Vista (I know right) and I'm finally going to upgrade to Windows 7! I'm also making the jump form 32 bit to 64 bit. As I'm going to need to do a fresh install I thought now would also be the time to upgrade to an SSD for the OS and any other important stuff.

My PC is getting on a bit now but when I built it it was at least alright. I have 4gb DDR2 Corsair Dominator, an Asus P5K mobo and an Intel E6750 core 2 duo processor.

I have several questions:

Will the SSD be compatible with all those parts?
Should I upgrade any of it to get the best performance from an SSD?
What SSD do you recommend? I'm not looking for huge memory and want to keep the cost down.
Should it all be pretty straightforward using an SSD for the OS alongside a 500gb Spinpoint F1 for all the other stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first upgrade in some time and I really want to get it right! :)

Well in order to utilize the SSD and the OS as a whole, when using 64-Bit, you should upgrade to DDR3 RAM at the very least. How big of an SSD are you getting and from who?

Well in order to utilize the SSD and the OS as a whole, when using 64-Bit, you should upgrade to DDR3 RAM at the very least. How big of an SSD are you getting and from who?

Why is it necessary to upgrade to DDR3 to utilize an SSD? I don't see the reasoning for that at all..

And if he were to upgrade to DDR3, since he's still running an e6750 (which is on a motherboard with DDR2), he would have to upgrade his CPU, motherboard, and RAM. None of that will matter for an SSD unless its on a super-slow system. The e6750 is aging, yes, but it's still not bad.

How is the DDR3 going to make a difference? Care to elaborate? Especially when his motherboard doesn't support DDR3? Please, do a minute of research before you reply with a stupid comment and confuse people.

OP: Your motherboard only has SATA 2, so here's the SSD I'd suggest:

Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

120GB is plenty for Win7 x64 and your games/programs.

An ssd is probably the best possible upgrade to the system you have. You'll be amazed at how fast your computer will boot and how fast programs load from disk. That 60G drive you linked to will work but I think you will regret it if you don't get at least a 120G like the one tj_extreme linked to.

Ive heard a couple posts from people that have problems installing images they made prior to upgrading to an SSD. Is there anything I need to know if my intent to save an image (Arcronis) of my current system and dump the image on an upgraded SSD?

Back
Top Bottom