Making money by finding bugs in Google Chrome?

Dekkers23

Beta member
Hey, I found this article and was wondering what it really means and what it takes to make money that way.

Google took care of three more bugs in the new Chrome 20 browser

If you read it, I'm not sure you got the whole idea just like I didn't. Does anyone know what it takes to find those bugs? What software to use and what knowledge does one need to possess to try and do the same? It seems like a cool way to make cash, I know php and CSS to some degree (not a master, but can find my way around it), does that help me in any way?

There is no software that is used. These people know how to code and dig into the code of Chrome to find these bugs which they can they reproduce on notice for proof to Google. Knowing CSS and PHP for web coding will not help you, you need to know programming.

There is no software that is used. These people know how to code and dig into the code of Chrome to find these bugs which they can they reproduce on notice for proof to Google. Knowing CSS and PHP for web coding will not help you, you need to know programming.

Technically, software would still be used :p. Decompilers, hex editors, debuggers, IDE's, etc. - all software that would probably be used to find bugs / exploits in software. All related back to programming.

Though, if by software you mean "one-click" solutions and the like... true, there wouldn't be anything like that.

Technically that isnt software that an average person uses. Even some hard core users dont use that type of software. It is specific to programmers of applications and software. It is not like you will find a guide on where to download it, how to use it and how to read the output of the software listed at the top of Google. It requires specific training and knowledge.

I didnt bring up those apps cause it isnt needed to be known what can be used if there is no way an average person with no programming skills could do with knowing the names of the types of apps. Cause using those apps can be bad for someone who doesnt have the proper knowledge. They could end up destroying their install of Windows.

So I still stand by my statement as it is 100% true and accurate. There is no way someone without programming knowledge could do this. The apps used are specific for that skill set and not needed by anyone else for any reason.

Technically that isnt software that an average person uses. Even some hard core users dont use that type of software. It is specific to programmers of applications and software. It is not like you will find a guide on where to download it, how to use it and how to read the output of the software listed at the top of Google. It requires specific training and knowledge.

I never said it's something that the average user uses. I merely said it's still technically software (which it is). I even stated in my previous post, that it all relates back to programming (which requires knowledge . It's still software is what I'm getting at. It's just not easy-to-use, GUI, "one-click" software (which I already mentioned).

I didnt bring up those apps cause it isnt needed to be known what can be used if there is no way an average person with no programming skills could do with knowing the names of the types of apps. Cause using those apps can be bad for someone who doesnt have the proper knowledge. They could end up destroying their install of Windows.

If somebody is seriously interested in pursuing knowledge in programming / debugging, then they will research the tools they would need to use. I'm mentioning them because I wanted to give specific examples as to what kind of software is used.

They'll learn not to do that again then wouldn't they ;). The only one(s) that I listed that could possibly cause damage, is the hex editor. MAYBE the decompiler...depending on which one... But a debugger / IDE... no way could you damage your Windows install, unless the actual software itself gets corrupted somehow (can happen with any software). I've seen this with Visual Studio on my friend's laptop, and it can be a PITA.

So I still stand by my statement as it is 100% true and accurate. There is no way someone without programming knowledge could do this. The apps used are specific for that skill set and not needed by anyone else for any reason.

I never denied that fact that you needed training or knowledge about the subject (didn't even bring that up actually). I just mentioned the fact that it is still indeed software that is used to find bugs. So I stand by my statement as well, because it is 100% accurate.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Well, I had some programing lessons in high school (I'm not an American), but that was some time ago and the knowledge I picked up is slim to none. So, it seems that I and the likes of me won't have much use for it.

Oh well, the search continues. ;)

This is a project started by the search engine giant to understand how ordinary people use the Internet, what times of the day people surf the internet, what sites are popular etc. The participants provide Google with the data.

This is a project started by the search engine giant to understand how ordinary people use the Internet, what times of the day people surf the internet, what sites are popular etc. The participants provide Google with the data.

3rd topic, 3rd wrong response. This is just called your search engine history, which you can also opt out of.

https://www.google.com/history/?hl=en-US&authuser=0&ctz=240

It is called your web history, which if you are signed into your Google Account you can turn this feature off and any searches you do will not be feed back to Google. It has nothing at all to do with the browser aspect when it comes to the search engine, cause if the person is not using Google Chrome but using Firefox, IE or Safari how would Google know what their search history is if it revolves around Google Chrome?

The option you are thinking of is under the settings of Google Chrome which states this:

Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google

That is completely different that what you describe.

Back
Top Bottom