Memory is OCed automatically!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
My memory is overclocked automatically once I raise the base FSB of my processor. For example, when I raise the FSB of my P4 520 to 215, my memory FSB is raised to 286 from 266. I run DDR2, but I'm not complaining. Could it be that my Abit uGuru is ocing the memory as I oc my processor?

Second question: where can I get folding apps.?

It is normal. The RAM and the CPU FSB that you're changing share that number basically. If the option isn't there in the BIOS for you to change then it's automatic, but there are ratios you can set if your board has those options. You want a 1:1 ratio with your CPU and RAM, so when you're raising your CPU FSB You're raising your memory FSB which I don't advise doing unless you know what you're doing.

To OC your ram takes a lot of patience, more so than CPU OC'ing I think, takes constant testing using memtest86+ to make sure you aren't getting errors, adjusting timings, voltages, etc...

So yes your RAM is overclocked right now because like I said somewhere in the BIOS it's set at the specific ratio, If your CPU frequency is set at 200(400) and your RAM speed is 133(266) then your ratio is like a 6:4 Ratio.......if the options are available and you are able to change that ratio to 6:6 or 1:1 then your RAM would jump up to 200(400) or in this case since you changed it to 215 it'd jump it to 430 which would more than likely kill it.

My problem is I run DDR2-533. That means the processor FSB is 200 on stock (800 Quad-Pumped). So the DDR2 is running at 266 which means it runs out of sync. Then I jump the processor to 215 and the memory speed goes up to 286 and that means it is still running out of sync since proc. FSB is 860.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom