Asus Z77 Sabertooth + Zalman 9700 heat sink.... fail....

buckman341

In Runtime
Just got a Sabertooth board and I was dismayed to discover that my old Zalman heat sink will not fit on it. Some of you may have this heat sink since they still make the thing (and it's awesome) and at least according to the specs on it, it should still work in modern motherboards.

Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Compatibility
Intel LGA 775 / 1155 / 1156
AMD Socket AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 / 940 / 939 / 754

Anyways, I expected it to fall into place with my new motherboard but have been disappointed. Basically the plastic bracket that goes around the CPU on the front and backside of the motherboard does not line up with the screws there. Even if it did line up, the area is very cramped with the "thermal armor" that is built into the Sabertooth board. Maybe still doable though.

Anyways, does anyone know of any way around this, perhaps a different bracket that does fit on the sabertooth and will allow the Zalman copper sink to clamp down (and screw in) properly? Failing that, does anyone know of a good after market CPU cooler that will definitely work with the Sabertooth. Hard to trust what the specs say at this point and would prefer some firsthand experience, thank you!

The cooler itself is compatible but they don't ship with every bracket. You will need to grab the 1156/155 bracket for it to line up properly.

Also, the 9700 is actually getting quite old.

Thanks for the advice. Actually I just noticed on the newegg product link the following:

"Note(1): Customers that purchased coolers before the inclusion of support for socket 1156, can purchase the separately sold ZM-CS5A or ZM-CS5B mounting kit for installation onto socket 1156."

They also mention 1366 but nothing about 1155 ... gonna have to investigate I guess.

Also, what's wrong with the 9700! :D It's just a big hunk of copper with a radiator. I guess the fan might be getting old but hey as long as it's spinning.

Thanks for the advice. Actually I just noticed on the newegg product link the following:

"Note(1): Customers that purchased coolers before the inclusion of support for socket 1156, can purchase the separately sold ZM-CS5A or ZM-CS5B mounting kit for installation onto socket 1156."

They also mention 1366 but nothing about 1155 ... gonna have to investigate I guess.

Also, what's wrong with the 9700! :D It's just a big hunk of copper with a radiator. I guess the fan might be getting old but hey as long as it's spinning.
It's cooling properties aren't as good as some other coolers out there from that era. I have one in my server and I much prefer a few other air coolers over that one.

Back
Top Bottom