I forgot to switch SATA setting to ACHI before installing OS and SSD

AliceN1derland

Baseband Member
Hi all!

Ok, I just finished building a new system using a MSIE350IA-E45 with a Crucial RealSSD C300. I forgot to switch the SATA mode from IDE to ACHI in the BIOS before beginning.

When I attempt to switch it after installing the OS, my system crashes and will not boot.

Can someone here help me understand the pitfalls/benefits of having the SATA mode in ACHI vs. IDE?

Will it make that much of a difference?

Presently obtaining transfer rates between 100-180 mps.

Please help me on this if you can.

Thanks,

Alice

Hi,

You'll want to use SATA native mode rather than IDE mode, for the main reason that faster data transfer rates can be achieved - http://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/sata-vs-ide.html

It's possible to enable AHCI / SATA Native Mode in Windows after already having installed the OS under IDE / Legacy / Compatibility mode. I've had to do this myself under Windows XP as well as Windows 7 a few times before.

Windows XP

For Windows XP, this process (in a nutshell) involves downloading the relevant SATA driver, manually updating the storage controller with the SATA driver (i.e. manually installing the SATA driver) in 'Device Manager', rebooting the PC and entering the BIOS settings to switch from IDE mode to SATA Native mode, and lastly booting into Windows to finalise the process - Windows should then automatically detect the SATA controler and install the SATA driver (one last reboot may be required if prompted).

For a step-by-step walkthrough (with screenshots) check out the following support article:
How to enable AHCI : Windows XP « Expertester

Windows Vista / 7

For Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can follow the same process. However, since from Windows Vista onwards there is native support for SATA in the OS (i.e. SATA drivers inbuilt into Windows Vista and Windows 7) you can simply boot into Windows under the current IDE mode, apply a registry tweak to enable SATA detection, reboot the PC and enter the BIOS to to switch from IDE mode to SATA Native mode, and lastly boot into Windows to finalise the process. This works for all, if not the majority of SATA controllers.

For instructions, check out the following support articles:
AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Forums
- or -
Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

I made the same mistake a few months ago after getting an M4. I made the BIOS switch to SATA a few weeks ago, I changed the registry too but can't remember if I did it before or after I changed the BIOS.
A few days ago I got a BSOD but not sure what it was as it restarted, I was just browsing the web. Ended up finding that Microsoft link and even though I check the registry to be sure it had changed, I also ran the Fixit tool. I've had no BSOD since but just wondering if anyone else has had the error past making the switch and applying the fix.

Back
Top Bottom