64-bit and RAM questions

AA-ron

Baseband Member
Hello,

I'm running Windows XP 64-bit with 8 GB of DDR2 ram with an AMD Athlon 64, quad core cpu.
A lot of the applications I use are very processor and memory intensive, which is really starting to bog down my computer.
I'm looking to upgrade soon but not sure what I should upgrade.

Most of the programs I use are in Program Files x86. Does this mean they are 32-bit programs, but 64-bit compatible and will only use a certain amount of available RAM?
When my computer is really thrashing and juggling a few programs, there is still 2-4 GB of RAM available.

Would Windows 7 be better equipped at handling applications and RAM association? Would adding RAM have any affect? Or, would I be better off upgrading to a newer, faster processor?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

If while doing this you have 2-4GB of RAM left over then your problem isn't a RAM problem. While Windows XP x64 is crap and 7 is way better I think your problem lies within your CPU and HDD. Being able to access files faster with an SSD would help a ton and a faster process to process everything faster sounds like it would be better than just changing the OS. I do recommend getting 64bit Windows 7 instead though.
When this is going on what is your CPU usage?

Windows 7 64bit will do you a lot better than XP 64bit. Win7 has much better memory management built-in. That, and a new CPU and/or SSD would boost you up a decent amount IMO.

Back
Top Bottom