HDMI Question

AWG is guage of the wire. The thicker the wire (lower the number), the more electricity it can carry (less resistance I believe compared to a thin wire, IIRC).

Okay, so it's not gonna make my graphics on gaming or HDTV viewing any different? I mean end of the day that's all I care about. Pwning n00bs and Home Theatre.

You can run the cable farther distance is the biggest thing.

I do remember having a cheap / thing cable though, and it could only go up to 720p for some reason. Got a different, bit thicker cable and it allowed me to do 1080p.

Other than that... it's all digital signal. 1's and 0's both ways.

I run 1080p through the cable already for my PC display so I know it can run 1080p. (HDMI GPU to LCD)

Running it farther you mean simply the cable is longer? I don't care about that my set up is all well within 6ft haha.

1s and 0s both ways? You're so cryptic! haha, that mean YES there is no difference in visual quality?

HDMI is HDMI, all cables have to meet a minimum spec. Some the newer specs mention ethernet via HDMI as well as all the other fancy features. Just grab a cable that meets your equipments HDMI spec or exceeds it. I tend to buy the 6 foot $5 cables on newegg when on sale and find to be of decent quality and work just fine.

TV just got here, using my regular HDMI cables I got a couple years ago...

Still looks great :)

I may spring for one of those ethernet ones though, that's pretty cool.

Interesting thread. I was wondering about the other wires that connect you up. Like the phone line and ethernet cable. Is shorter better? Is bigger better? I just changed my phone line to a much longer and thinner one cause the other just barely reached. The longer one is the only other I had. Would a short line be faster because of the shorter distance? Would a thicker one be more conductive?

Interesting thread. I was wondering about the other wires that connect you up. Like the phone line and ethernet cable. Is shorter better? Is bigger better? I just changed my phone line to a much longer and thinner one cause the other just barely reached. The longer one is the only other I had. Would a short line be faster because of the shorter distance? Would a thicker one be more conductive?

The length of the cable doesn't matter.

The length of the cable doesn't matter.

It does only if you're going over a very long distance. For example: max of ethernet is 100 meters, max of USB 2.0 is ~10-15ft IIRC. Those are of course without power injectors / repeaters anywhere in the middle; just straight shots.

Back
Top Bottom