Installing a second hard drive

Lennac

Solid State Member
I bought my computer used from a guy who had built it himself. Everything works fine, but the 250GB isn't exactly "big". Bought 1TB of Caviar Black and am looking to install it, however, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm decent on the software side of computers, but have never been involved in taking a computer apart or installing any hardware like this.

I've looked at some instructions online and such, but I want to sort of just get a better idea of how difficult this might be for someone who has never done anything like this. (I know installing a hard drive is simplistic for people who build computers, but I'm new and don't want to screw something up and potentially ruin the hard drive or the PC).

Anyway, is this task simple enough for me to tackle by myself or should I try and seek a friend with some expertise in this area? I'm sure I could find someone to do this for me, but I was hoping to install the hard drive tonight and get it up and running.

Any advice, or directions, or suggestions would really be appreciated!

Would have to check that when I get home from work, because I really have no idea about the model number. It's an ASUS motherboard with an AMD processor, Phenom II, quad core. Apart from that, off the top of my head, anything more specific will have to wait until later tonight.

Its quite easy.. A bit more difficult if you want to move your OS to the new drive too.

If you don't want to move the os, just plug the new drive in using a SATA cable, if you have a prebuilt, you will need to buy one, and a psu connection. Both only go one way.

Then go into computer mANAGEment in the control panels-> admin tools and set the drive to active.

Still in the management, create partions, or leave it 1 laarge drive.

Swaping the OS is trickier and will require back up software like acronis.

I wasn't planning on moving the OS. Probably just cleaning up the 250GB drive, leaving that for essential files mostly, and installing games and storing all my music and media on the 1TB drive. Will I need to buy a PSU connector and SATA cable then?

Will pick that up on my way home from work then. Thanks. That would have been really frustrating to get my PC opened up and realize I'm missing a cable... That's the simple thing that I definitely would have overlooked.

I'll have to check with them then, thanks for the tip. Will update later with my hopeful success/potential failure story, haha.

Update and thanks:
Took me a while to get into my computer and find a way to hook everything up. The guy who built my computer before I bought really didn't make it easy to get in there (unless I'm missing a secret panel somewhere). However, the drive has been successfully installed and activated.

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom