Old school computer problems!

Way back when....you needed a boot floppy disk in order to install the driver for the cd drive to load windows 98 from a cd disk (not so with 98SE) the old bios might not have the option to boot from a cd. You had to boot from a dos cd driver, can you look in the bios to check that?

Bleh. I'll take it apart tomorrow and I guess we will see, it's definitely going to be a chore. That computer is a mess on the inside.

Way back when....you needed a boot floppy disk in order to install the driver for the cd drive to load windows 98 from a cd disk (not so with 98SE) the old bios might not have the option to boot from a cd. You had to boot from a dos cd driver, can you look in the bios to check that?

The bios has the option to boot from the cd drive, it just doesn't seem to have the correct drivers because it isn't working properly =\

It wouldn't be an issue of drivers if it can't boot off of the disc.

If a drive can't boot off of the disc, it would either be a problem with the BIOS, or would be a problem with the drive itself. Linux having drivers for it wouldn't have anything to do with it, as it hasn't even booted to linux yet, so there would be no drivers to load.

Like hikari said earlier, try another bootable disc to see if it's just a problem with the disc you burned, or if its an actual issue with the drive itself.

Also, when you burned the ISO image, did you just burn the .ISO file to the disc, or did you use a program to burn the image onto the disc, so that the contents of the ISO file were burned?

I burned the iso. correctly, not to worry haha! I will burn another disk and see, however I was able to run Puppy linux off the CD on a separate computer with no problems, so that means it's probably a BIOS problem or a drive issue.

I would probably say a drive issue. If you have a spare IDE optical drive laying around, I would try it out.

I would probably say a drive issue. If you have a spare IDE optical drive laying around, I would try it out.

Haha I definitely do not, but I pulled the HDD, so I'll pick up a USB adapter and check the files on a separate computer. I guess I'm done fiddling with this old computer haha =] thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom