Question About Upgrading Memory

arcticap

Baseband Member
I currently have 2 gigs of DDR2 PC2-6400 memory installed on a machine with 32 bit XP Pro. I'm upgrading the hard drive to an SSD and now I'm trying to decide how I should upgrade the memory. I know that it needs more.
I understand that the system won't recognize over 4 gigs of memory.
My motherboard gives me several memory options which include 2 slots available for 2 more gigs of 6400 and:

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 PC3-10600 with a maximum of 4GB kit (2GBx2) per slot

I have an old 256 video card installed.
I'm trying to decide if I should add 2 more gigs of the same 6400 memory or just buy 4 gigs of new 10600 memory (2 sticks of 2 gigs each).

Should adding the maximum of either memory cause any problem?
I have older Kingston HyperX installed but now they have HyperX Blue with different timings I guess. Should I make sure not to mix them? Since I'm not yet positive of what the timing is of the memory that I have,I was considering just upgrading all of the memory.

Either way I decide to go, the price is about the same since I found a lot of good deals on 4 verses 2 gigs of ram.
One product that I found is Crucial Ballistic Tactical. Is that on par with HyperX? Which is better, Hyper X or HyperX Blue? The HyperX originally had a higher price than HyperX Blue.

I found some other memory sticks that seem to be pretty good too if one looks at the original list prices and heat spreaders.
One of them is Patriot G Series Sector 5. Is Patriot any better or worse than Kingston or Crucial Ballistic Tactical?
I like the Ballistic Tactical because it's a company with U.S. HQ's and plants around the world.
Should I buy all new memory and will it cause any issues to install all 4 gigs?
I have more upgrade questions but that's about it for here & now.
I appreciate any opinions or info.
Thanks!

What computer and/or motherboard do you have?
Only a few motherboards on the market support both DDR2 and DDR3 memory.

Running memories with different timings and or speeds can sometimes cause incompatibility problems. Usually, the memory will down spec to match the slowest memory installed.
I recommend going with 4GB form the same manufacturer, and highest speed supported, unless there is a huge price difference. The speed doesn't make a very noticeable difference, but can't hurt.

On a DDR2 setup I don't recommend mixing memory. If you were on a DDR3 setup then I'd say that is fine but DDR2 boards can be real finicky.
If you only have XP 32bit then getting more RAM is really moot as well.

GhOsT1321 said:
What computer and/or motherboard do you have?
Only a few motherboards on the market support both DDR2 and DDR3 memory.

The motherboard is an ASROCK 4Core 1600P35 Wifi and it will support either the DDR2 or DDR3 memory listed but not both at the same time, only either one or the other.
I don't want to mix memory and will find out which HyperX that I have. The price difference for 2 Gigs of one verses 4 gigs of the other is very slight.
But I want to improve sluggishness with the computer which I believe is due in part to Norton and an old hard drive which is why I want to upgrade that.
The CPU is a Wolfdale E8400 3.0.

Nice CPU, neat board (really I think the hybrids were cool), DDR2 is rubbish. I would get 4GB of DDR3 to make this system a bit better and hang on to that till you can do a full upgrade. I think you'll find with an SSD and an install of Windows 7 64bit mixed with the DDR3 upgrade will put new life into your rig.

Back
Top Bottom